How to choose software develoment company?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Orpheus, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Orpheus

Orpheus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is anyone here who hire freelancers or engineers? Is it better to outsource or have an in-house team? The project may take 1 year to complete. Should we outsource to freelancers or to a company?

2. Shrike

Shrike
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Speaking as a project manager, I'd say choosing a development company is a lot safer, reliable and manageable than freelancers. I have worked with both smart independent devs who’ve never let me down and development companies who’ve missed deadlines far too often. However, I have to say my experience with development companies is better than with individual freelancers. The last company we have worked is Vironit, Belarus. These guys are active in mobile, software and game development. The team we’ve worked with are a bunch of achievers and has exceeded our expectations every so often. I’m very pleased with their job and would advise anyone to contact them.

3. Inva

Inva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, first of all disclaimer: i represent such a company.

I believe your choice should be based on your long term goals (business plan) and your budget.

If you say your project will take 1 year to complete, then i guess it is a serious long term project. In this case you're better off with a company because a company offers security. A company can re-allocate staff if need be to complete your project. If you work with a single developer, it's possible that something might happen and the work be left unfinished or delayed. For example they may get sick, break their hand, disappear, find another, better job!

If your project is small, you are in a constrained budget, or you are speculating (testing the market, trying to produce an MVP, etc.), trying to hire a talented developer is not a bad idea. Costs less, you might have more control and direct communication than with a company.

Whatever you do, make sure your chosen contact person understands your project and has good communication. Also very important is to find someone who seems to be interested in bringing the project to success and not simply get done with it. They should be able to offer different options depending on your short/long term requirements and what this project means to you.

4. AcesFourConstruction

AcesFourConstruction
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are thinking that you are going to spend a year developing software and then it will be done. What you do not realize is that after you develop it, it will require continual maintenance. If you hire and the lay off you will have nobody familiar with the software to support it. If you outsource it you will have a connection to keep it maintained. That is what I do for my small sewer construction and repair business.