How to bring joy back to your work

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by scifi, Jan 31, 2009.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well surfing net for workplace culture in companies & happen to come across A POT OF GOLD for sure..:D
    Tips are simple though practical & definitely helps in injecting new life to your workplace atmosphere, thus giving you the liberty to enjoy work at the same time...i.e. to enjoy what you do or to induced an element of fun in your profession so you enjoy while at being work, too!!!!! :)

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Statistics and research studies have shown that the number one reason of people leaving a company isn't about salary or position but because of unhappiness in the workplace.

I had read the "How to bring joy back to your work" article and I couldn't agree more on the importance of happiness or joy in the workplace. It mentioned in the article about some tips to help you regain that joy in your work but only one was mentioned - 1. Be realistic. I couldn't help but think that this was copied from another article in the web Scifi.

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think topic was written in much general sense with the help of experience & little bit research so that it is easy for everyone to understand & implement tips given in article in their day to day life!!!
    If some thoughts or tips are found to be matching with another articles from the web, then I can say only that many people share common views & if one such thing had happened, it should be ignored...Keeping in mind the message conveyed in the article....

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that with us Scifi, there are some very useful tips in that article. I particularly like the ones about turning up to work with the right attitude and fixing problems rather than complaining.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh, my bad. I thought that the link for Next in the article is to go to the next article. I didn't know that it would be for the next page and tip. There are actually 10 tips there.

These are really good tips and we can always apply these in the workplace. Thanks for sharing Scifi.

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At a first glance to your post I also though that there might be some confusion with you ,,otherwise you show very positive response to these kinda article, Nazreen..which otherwise is a very good collection of tips written with a context of giving an insight on bringing joy back in workplace or in profession.
    Its good, that at last you have noticed about that confusion.....

7. ailema000

ailema000
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well to bring back joy on work is that loving your work

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum Ailema000. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Yes I'd have to agree with you on that. If you love your work then you'll definitely be happy with it. That's easy to say but a lot of people would definitely ask how? How will you love your work? Do you have any suggestions on this?

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi ailema000!
    Welcome to the BAF community!!
    Like to see you more active here..

Although it is true that loving your work can be bring back joy to your work but as Nazreen points out ,how can you love your work???... shows it is though easy to say very difficult to follow in real life unless until you love your work or you do work that is of interest to you..These general 10 tips aims at bringing joy back in this other sense too..!!!!

10. CLSbrunette

CLSbrunette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One quick way to bring joy back to your workplace is simply by humor. When there is humor, everything seems livelier. My officemates and I, usually throw jokes at each other and then work seems to be more bearable... :D

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can agree to this to some extent that humor might help you in bringing joy back to your workplace but that should be in limited amount because it is general expectations that you should be serious while at work...However there should be some place for humor during lunch or break times..
    Moreover there could be possibility that people do not take your humor in the same sense as you might want them to!!!

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Humor can bring joy to most situations, sometimes even to very bad circumstances. A little bit of humor goes a long way. Business is about people and people prefer to do business with people they like and who's company they enjoy. Everyone likes a little humor.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for that link, Scifi! :) I agree with almost all of them I'd say. Enjoying your work is a choice. I don't care how rubbish a job anyone has - you still choose to enjoy it or hate it. Even if all you can find to make you enjoy it is that it keeps a roof over your head and food in your belly, so be it.

I agree with you about humor, Fergal. Some of the dry humor that came from neighbors when they were showing us the damage they'd suffered in the ice storm or with us all trying to manage without power for so long was the only thing that kept our spirits up.

14. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal & Kay, my experience with humor at workplace in not good so far because people don't take it in a light & cheer mood which often results in some sort of conflict or so..may be I am refering to personal humor:rolleyes: ....But I do agree too that in general humor brings a new spirit & refresh those tensed out moods of people thus chilling you out to pay full attention towards your work!!!:D

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fair point. I think humor can clash in the workplace in the same way personalities can, scifi. Some people can be funny with a completely straight face and others don't always realizing they're joking. And then some are just not the types that have a sense of humor in the first place. It'd be a shame to work somewhere that humor's frowned upon..we all need some light relief from time to time. Like everything else though, you need to find balance in that respect.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You need to be very careful with humor that is directed at an individual, it is very easy to say something that can be taken the wrong way or viewed as offensive. Personal humor should probably be reserved for work colleagues that we know quite well.

17. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah Fergal!! I think I was also trying to make this point that Humor is always welcome when you are in company of friends or some one you know very well but while at workplace you have to be extra careful while dealing with such kind of stuff!!!!!

18. RussellHayes1

RussellHayes1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When things get rough and you want to give up, you just need to take a short break. Do something that you really love doing. And if it helps for a day don't think about work.

19. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Taking a break was also mentioned in the link provided by Scifi. See this link.

Taking a step back and resting is really a good idea. Resting doesn't have to be a trip to Malibu or any tourist destinations but can also mean not working on the weekends but spending time with family and friends instead. We should also take advantage of our 1 hour lunch breaks and it's advisable to go out of the office so that we'll be away from all those work-related stress.

20. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse