How to Blog - Ten Slide Presentation

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A very nice 10 slide presentation on How to Blog with very useful and practical tips.

What do you think, is it useful to you?

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For someone like me who has never blogged before, I think that this is quite useful. It gives some general guidelines on the what, when, and how's to blogging.

I've just bookmarked the site just in case I decide to blog in the future.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's okay with good points but a lot of the essence of blogging depends on what your style is, what you're using it for and who your target audience is.

For example with a business blog, it should be more on the formal side. On the other hand with an entertainment focused blog, you'll get a lot of the " ...!!!" that she tells you to avoid but readers expect that kind of thing along with "omg, did you see ?!" gossipy type posts in that niche.

For beginners it's a nice place to start and a good foundation overall though. I don't agree with not posting twice in one day, especially if you have a blog where breaking news is being discussed by everyone except you because you already posted that day. I'm not sure I see the logic in that.

The main thing with a blog is to let who you are come through in your writing and not be robotic. Give people an insight into your character and share good content. Content is king -it's an old saying but there's a reason it's lasted so long. Think about what the readers will find useful and interesting, not just you, and why they come to your blog.

One essential tool that's conspicuous by its absence in the list is the ScribeFire add-on for Firefox. Serious bloggers use it. It lets you post to your blog without leaving the page you're on. After the initial setup to link it through to your blog, you need never do that again.

So if for example I wanted to post about this thread on my blog, I'd just click ScribeFire in my toolbar and it would pop up a text box in the bottom half of my browser. That lets me type my blog entry, categorize it and link to the page itself if need be, add pics etc.

ScribeFire also posts the blog entry right away to my blog if I hit Publish there and then. (You can schedule the posts too for future publication). I can also drag and drop text from a page into my blog post. Next time I visit my blog, there it is in public view.

If you click the black picture on the left of this description of ScribeFire's capabilities, you'll see a larger screenshot of what it looks like in action. (It's actually a slideshow - hover your mouse about the middle of the right hand vertical edge to see the arrows that move you through the slides.)

ScribeFire is very handy if you're surfing around and find something you want to mention. You can do anything you could if you'd went to your blog and physically signed in to the admin panel and created a post there, including make drafts. It just saves you a lot of time and those steps.

You don't forget about something you thought would be a good blog subject and then have to try find it again to blog about. Doing it instantly from the page while you're on it is great. You can also send your shiny new blog post to the social bookmarking sites through it. Even if all you do is a few lines of draft to remind you later what you were going to expand on, it's now in your blog's admin panel for you to work on anytime. And it's free.

Didn't mean that description to be so long but it's an essential tool! I have it.

• Like Like x 1
    #3 Kay, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I checked the link out.

While there are some good tips mentioned over there, I disagree with the one that says that you should never blog twice a day. I think that depends on the nature of the blog.

You see TechCrunch, they've to update many times a day because the business calls for.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is a very good link regarding blogging Fergal.. I was thinking while reading the blog that it must have been written with keeping in mind, a person like me, who loves to do blogging but couldn't due to lack of time....It contains some very good tips like shorter paragraphs , stronger voice, personal touch etc...

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've just checked TechCrunch and you're quite right in that they even have more that 4-5 posts per day in their blog. But there's a big difference between normal blogs and TechCrunch. Most blogs are made by individual bloggers while TechCrunch comprises of a group of bloggers. If you take in the context of the individual bloggers in TechCrunch, they only post one per day so the tip of not blogging twice a day would still be a valid one, right?

7. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are so many different styles and ways to blog. I run three blogs and each one I run differently. That is what makes blogging so fun right now, it is still wide open. There are some general guidelines, but those are more for how to generate traffic, generate conversations, etc.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not necessarily. As I said in my post, placing a self-imposed restriction on yourself isn't always the smart thing to do. What if your blog is all about a company for example and its HQ burns to the ground that afternoon? Would you not blog about that because you'd already blogged that same morning? That would be a bit dumb, let's face it, especially if you've built yourself up to be the expert on that particular subject.

Which reminds me, the "never on the weekends" thing isn't a good idea either for exactly the same reason.

The important thing is not to be filling it with a dozen "fluff", filler type posts every day. If you post twice or even three times daily and every post has great relevant current content, people don't mind that. You can still keep your posts within a reasonable number and use common sense. It's when the blog's filled with inane nonsense about the dog being sick on the carpet just to get your post count up that they stop coming.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Kay! That's quite informative.

These tips on blogging which involves "Never blog more than once a day" and "Never on weekends" might have been specifically made for the newbie blogger. Do you guys think so? I think that to be successful in blogging, you should also be consistent in posting regularly with new ideas to share in every blog. If you're a newbie, blogging twice or more a day might exhaust you and you might run out of ideas pretty soon.

10. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, those things cannot be generalized, in my opinion. It's different for different blogs. I agree Techcrunch has a group of bloggers, but the nature of the website is also one important factor for it being updated more than once a day. But yes, for a new blogger, it's advisable also because when one is new to blogging, one has a lot of passion & topics to talk about. In that rush, he/ she just runs out of ideas in a short time.

On you second point, I agree. Posting on a consistent basis helps two-fold.

• First, as you mentioned, it helps you keep going with ideas.
    • Second, your readers expect a post of a particular time interval. So, they'll come and check it out..the other way, some of your posts might get good participation, other's wont.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's interesting to see that everyone has different ideas regarding to how to create a successful blog. The fact that blogging is still a relatively new concept, combined with the fact that almost anyone can set up their own blog, keeps the whole area fresh and open to different ways of doing things.

There are no set rules, and bloggers should do what works best for themselves as individuals.