How to become a great writer?

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by antonclovelly, May 17, 2010.

1. antonclovelly

antonclovelly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can follow the following 10 tips to be a better writer:

1. You should have complete clarity on the topic on which you have to write your article.

2. The language, words, phrases, etc should be chosen depending on the target audience of your article.

3. Before starting to write the article, the writer should make a clear list of the things he or she desires to include in it.

4. To avoid any confusion, all points should be written in a sequential manner.

5. In order to write superior content, it is always better to write down a summary of your topic.

6. To make the article fine tuned and well written you need to do appropriate research on the topic to avoid any gaps in the article.

7. A final draft should be formulated after you have done the right research to write the art.

reagdrs.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed with that, it is not easy to write a high quality article. I always suggest to so some research to understand the current status and it potential in future related to the topic before start on it

3. aandybinaton

aandybinaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. If you have the time, let your piece of writing sit still. Don't look at it for a few days, if possible. That way when you return to it, you'll approach it with a fresh eye.
    2. Occasionally read your material out loud. Good writing has its own rhythm. Sentences vary, the cadence isn't too long, nor too short. If you're bored reading your material out loud, then how are your readers expected to feel?
    3. Keep a pad of paper near your bed. I often get ideas, even if it's just a turn of a phrase, when I'm about to go to sleep. I always think I'll remember the idea in the morning, but alas, I hardly do. I force myself out of my comfortable slumber and jot down the ideas and I'm usually grateful I did in the morning.
    4. Be yourself and have fun. When writing, you are metaphorically putting yourself on the page - your style, your humor. When people read your piece, there should be a sense of "you." How can you be "you" if you're not having any fun or mimicking someone else's style?
    5. Get feedback. Even professional writers get feedback from editors or other professional writers. If the professionals - people who are paid to write - get feedback, why not you?
    6. Maybe your goal isn't to become a "professional" writer. Maybe you just want to hone your skills. Fine. No matter what the desire, start thinking of yourself as a writer.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

but then how bout the optimized article.
    how many time shall i mention the keyword in the body and etc... ?

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It will be better if you are able to control the keyword density in about 3~5%. However, the most important still the content itself, if the keyword density will affect the article content, then just ignore the keyword density.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you write a good article in the first place there's no need to worry about percentages. The keywords should flow naturally, assuming it's on topic and not full of fluff or keyword stuffed.

7. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The points suggested here are quite helpful.doing a research before is very important.and one point really caught my eye which i personally experienced," If you have the time, let your piece of writing sit still. Don't look at it for a few days, if possible. That way when you return to it, you'll approach it with a fresh eye."
    But my biggest problem has been creative writing, where i want to add good phrases, smart punch lines and examples to put my point across in an effective and entertaining way.Thats why i am often stuck with so called "writer's block" with blank paper staring at me.

8. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be a good writer you should be born like this. Of course training helps to structure articles better, to choose the right language, but you should have inside feeling about what you write.

9. hetal_387

hetal_387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with Kay..
    also..
    * Don/t make it unnecessarily complex, Try to use simple words so that every one can understand it easily.

* Don't write in promotional language like you are trying to selling something or marketing for something. Try to give information genuinely

In short.. Make it simple, natural and informative to the point.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is important. Think about who you are writing for. Is your audience a professional one that's going to follow all the jargon and flowery language, or is it Joe Public?

I read once that journalists working for the popular UK tabloid, The Sun, deliberately write with the reading comprehension of a 10 year old in mind. The Sun aims to make itself accessible to the masses. It worked.

11. davidjhon

davidjhon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

just few things

Writing is a creative process and rushing it may obscure your desired results. Give yourself the freedom to close the document and open it back up a week later. Ideas may come to you while sleeping, working or just going about your daily routines.
    Use action verbs. Instead of saying something like, "The ball got kicked by Christina," say "Christina kicked the ball." By making your sentences and syntax active instead of passive, it makes your readers more apt to understand you.

12. jhonstwewart

jhonstwewart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have the some of the great knowledge about on writer there are of that most of people are afraid of any amount of writing some following list .
    -Write With Complete Focus
    -Give Yourself Enough Time to Write
    -Learn What Good Writing Looks Like
    -Read the Classics on Writing
    -Rewrite Your Work
    -Edit Ruthlessly
    -Stick with It
    -Share What You Write
    -If You Get Stuck, Keep Writing
    -Speak from Your Heart
    -Make Your Writing Work for You
    -Give Your Best Work Away
    -Help Others Become Better Writers.

13. bassamy

bassamy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I agree with you in your writing but I disagree at the point for the selection of the target where you are required at some point in his article in the newspaper, for example, is aimed at all classes, so I think it should be written in an easy to understand everyone does not target a specific group

14. martinhames

martinhames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is really important to do your research. One of the key areas to focus on is in adding good phrases, smart punch lines and examples.

15. justin tauress

justin tauress
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always feel I'll remember the idea in the morning, but alas, I barely doing a research before is very major and one point really caught my eye which i personally experienced," If you have the instance, let your piece of writing sit still.

16. nickelodon007

nickelodon007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to me mostly read good books or novels, so you can see how the experts do it. You must know the conventions, correct grammar, punctuation, depth of knowledge, story structuring, etc of English.