How To Be Taken Seriously?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Jay., Feb 14, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have several business ideas, all of which revolve around the internet in some way. My issue is being taken seriously. When you're just starting out with a business and have no real reviews, it's extremely difficult to attract customers.

For example, say I wanted to start an online store selling specific products. Even if I'm cheaper than other stores online, customers are likely to pay the extra and go somewhere else that they know and trust.

How can I build trust and show people I'm legitimate when no customers seem to be willing to take that 'leap of faith' with a new business? (And of course if nobody is willing, the business can't grow at all).

2. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe that even if you are a start-up if you market yourself/business/website people will take you seriously, especially if you offer something unique to what others are offering. People are generally attracted by cash savings so if you are offering something at a lower price that's a massive advantage.

3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would also advice you to go on the same tracks. When starting out customers are not willing to buy even if your price is little lower then your competitors. So you need to work on offering something much more attractive. If you are offering products that have their own identity or brand then you can offer at lower price and to gain trust of customers provide better facilities which would make them buy. Since the first concern when buying online is the genuineness of the store you should give cash back guarantee and services like free shipping and you could also offer discount coupons on further purchases to get the customer back to you.

4. john_mclaren

john_mclaren
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First you got to build a strong business base which could be achieved through your core competence in the Sector you are targeting upon. Build your core competence first and get the know how of the sector. Make both online and offline approach for getting flow in business. Online you may go for SEO and offline with marketing strategies which would include promotion through promotional products. Go for forum joining for real estate and participate in the discussion, once you earn good will, you may add your signature to get links from them. Make business page on various social networking sitres like Facebook, Google+, Stumbleupon and Linked-in and do make friends and be active on them. Blogging, Press releases, Blog commenting, directory posts are many of the ways that can get links for your site. Hope you have got the idea rolling in mind by now. Keep me posted for any further query. Link Prism is one new way to submit links to high PR sites. Blog Broadcasting is good one. Video submission and Pinterest are good ones for getting links and business for your site.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Switch on the engines, start your train and soon you will be running on track....

To be taken seriously you to move beyond the level of ideas & thinking to action...

6. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all the replies everyone, already some useful ideas. This thread has given me a little inspiration for how to be taken seriously in business. :)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can start off by doing what you need to do to get some initial customers. This might require giving away some of your product or service for free, in return for reviews. That way you begin to build credibility and new customers will be much more willing to buy from you, after they have seen genuine positive reviews from previous customers.

Would that approach work for the particular business you have in mind?

8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Jay. It's because there are so many Online Business sites around. They are well known and trusted. It's really hard to start a new business or take your Business to a height. For this, you seriously need some people help you. You will need sponsors, staff member help you. Effective Advertisement should be done. Try to launch a special promo or discount offer for a season or month. This will attract customers. Even you are in loss, you will get some customers for the initial start. Then you can go back to your best rate for your business.

People in internet I believe mostly seek for easy and discounted products.

9. bluesky98

bluesky98
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depending on what you are selling, trade shows may be a way to get your name out to a specific customer base (and gauge reaction to your products). What about marketing through Amazon marketplace, etc? I have seen products that link completely out of amazon and directly to other retail websites.

For me the key is differentiation. What makes you different that all your other competitors? Once you have a tangible realization of what it is...make sure your customers know. That is how you can build brand loyalty.

10. Lets Syncro

Lets Syncro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are a start-up too. I know the challenges. I do agree with just jumping in to some extent, however, think in Brand Management terms. It is difficult to come back if you head down the wrong path. Do any of your idea lend themselves to co-branding? Can you establish yourself with an existing company or product?