how to be an effective leader?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by shailagomez, Aug 29, 2010.

1. shailagomez

shailagomez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have any idea on how to be an effective leader?

2. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm studying to become a teacher, so leadership is a must.

What I've learned most from is experience. Study other leaders. Work with them, observe and ask yourself what you'd do in their position.

For me, working in a school is great experience. I get to see what other teachers do and get a feel for my future duties. I feel like I am a better leader than ever, and this is only the first step.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Work with integrity in everything you do, respect others, give to others, serve others and do what you say you will do. Those principles would give you a good start.

Why do you ask the question shailagomez, is there anything in particular that you wish to achieve?

4. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Work hard and to manage good time and people and to know how to organize them.

5. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be an effective leader you need to be a good follower first.

6. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be an effective leader you must first of all inspire confidence and authority, think about it would you follow a "Mr Bean" like character who you thought didn't know what he was doing?

1. Be confident in yourself and what you have to do, so that can mean thoroughly organizing everything that you do so you are prepared.

2. Be balanced, don't be too formal or cold so that people think of you as unapproachable and uncaring.

Don't be too chummy, chummy, so that people think you're "one of them" and lose respect.

Be polite, smile, warm but be a bit formal and reticent.

3. Listen carefully to what people say, and also their body language and facial expressions.

Sometimes people are saying things as an excuse to get out of something and will view you as a soft touch if you give it.

4. Imagine your ideal leader/manager and be like that.

7. shailagomez

shailagomez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To Fergal: Yeah, I want to be a good leader. Because I'm handling people in our church. And also I want to be good in work also to be a leader also someday.

8. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1 - Work with others potential leaders. Learn, ask, observe them.
    2 - You need to practice leadership terms - Integrity , Responsible etc..
    3 - Talk and be confident in whatever events, groups or organisation you are handling.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

shailagomez the best approach for you to take would be to help your members as best you can. Try not to think too much about yourself or your own progression, just serve the members as best you can. This will help you earn their respect and aid you in being recognised as a leader in the organisation.

10. iimibrohim

iimibrohim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So many books about how to be a good leader. Some important point I got: Give people example with what you do, motivate people to continually improve their performance, give support and coaching if they have problem, be a counsellor if they are in under-performance. Yes it is not easy, we must have a kind of 'people skill' to do those things. And integrity, as Fergal said, is a must.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best thing I can suggest you do is listen and learn from those around you. Don't assume that just because you're in charge you know more than they do, and don't allow your ego to stop you from taking advice.

Top leaders bring out the best in those around them by recognising individual strengths and weaknesses and using that knowledge. They're also not too proud to admit when things go wrong that someone else may have a better solution. You need to be a team player as well as a manager, so don't distance yourself and be aloof. And my own personal rule was never ask someone to do something you'd be unwilling to do yourself.

Amen to that! :D Lead by example.

12. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To become a leader I believe you have to choose an 'Admirer' for yourself, learn about him & his works. You have to be an enthusiast. However, the most important aspect is the 'Experience', You become leader with your experiences.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When you say "Admirer" are you referring to a leader that you would look up to and learn from?

14. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly, every leader finds inspiration from a former one.

15. Bocacristian

Bocacristian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree 100% Most important serve other people,dedicate your time to help them,and they will treat you like you treat them.
    And Respect other peoples oppinions

16. kashif123456

kashif123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In order to become a successful leader, you must have leadership skills and good understanding of your task and job responsibilities. If you the skills of handling, controlling and monitoring a team then its easy for you to become a leader.

17. spyderjackets

spyderjackets
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First , you should respect others!

18. edblogger88

edblogger88
    uix_expand uix_collapse

People can become leaders by concentrating on improving individual leadership skills. Thus, anyone can be a leader. Even leaders can improve to become effective leaders. Effective leaders are made not born; they are able to learn from experience and trial and error. Leaders can learn a large amount of the craft on the job. The most Effective way to becoming a leader is through practice.

19. RKCastillo

RKCastillo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know I found the most important aspects to be an effective leader is to be a servant leader because they understand the needs of the people that are following them. Servant leaders know the strengths and weaknesses of the people. Also, they able to put those people in place where they can function at their best. That is why I believe that effective leader will do. Not only that; but a leader has people following them. So, you want to be able to lead cast vision and make the vision something that the people want to be able to follow. So, that is what I think how to be an effective leader.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very true, reminds me of one of my favourite quotes "I am a leader, these are my people, I must follow them".