How to be a good communicator

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by abohadi, Feb 18, 2009.

1. abohadi

abohadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All the skills in the world will not help you communicate effectively if you are not interested in other people and in the world around you. You should think about how you would like people to treat you and then treat them in the same way.

If you want to be a good communicator you take the following into account:

A good communicator remembers people’s names, greet them in a friendly manner and speak to them with courtesy and respect.

A good communicator knows that what he communicates non-verbally can be more meaningful than the words he uses so he always sends the suitable non-verbal message that supports his words.

A good communicator focuses on the person with whom he is speaking. He makes this person feel like the most important person in his universe. It will definitely enhance the effectiveness of communication.

A good communicator listens as much or more than he talks. Listening is one of the most effective ways to show interest in another person. Effective listening involves more than remaining silent. Nod your head in agreement, make little response noises, use prompters like ``interesting'' or ``tell me more,'' or ask pertinent questions to show you are paying attention. Open-ended questions that require more than a yes or no answer encourage the other person to talk.

A good communicator is positive and polite. He masters the rules of etiquette and good manners since these are what grease the wheels of effective interpersonal relationships.

A good communicator usually read great books to develop his communication skills. He is also interested in learning the proper way to speak well because he believes in the saying “Speech is a mirror of the soul. As a man speaks, so is he“

What about you? Still hesitated to do the work necessary to be A good communicator and develop your communication skills?!!! I recommend you to check out my blog.

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You have the right idea, good pointers.

Everything was very good till this point to me.
    The secret is to create a post long enough to fill in the space to the left under your user name, making the end of your post bleed in to your signature.

This way people are drawn to it without the obvious plug which can turn people off.

Other than that, I did full enjoy your post.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I enjoyed your post a lot Abohadi. There are a lot of good tips there especially the one about listening. People always think that if you can talk well that you're already a good communicator but this is not often the case. To be a good communicator you should also listen. There's nothing I hate more than people who talks a lot but doesn't give you a chance to talk.

I find nothing wrong with promoting your blog too. :) We all need to promote our business, whether it's through BAF or any other media.

4. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If we all thought the same way this would be a very boring forum. ;)

Regardless, I stand by my saying the post was very good. :)

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I guess I'm a pretty boring one huh? Not very fiery but very reserved and a bit too diplomatic. :)

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The post is indeed very good with some of the excellent points quoted out in order to be a good communicator...But I think that a person with all these points incorporated will be hardly to find & may be it is far from reality to think of even so,,,All of us has some or other weaknesses, so at most; what we can do is to develop these traits in us, slowly to get attributed to most of the points listed herein..!!!!:)

7. abohadi

abohadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

pendelton, I respect your thinking but I didn't want mainly to promote my business as I intended to tell you that my post's topic has many other pointers related to communication skills that you can read about on my blog. That's it.

Nazreen, I appreciate your diplomacy and support.

8. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

lol, not what I meant. :)

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I really need to improve on this one, I've caught myself a few times recently, thinking of something else when someone was talking to me. It's a terrible thing to do and I'm trying hard not to do it again.

I've had the pleasure of knowing a couple of people who are masters at this very skill. When you talk to them you feel better about yourself and that you have a special relationship with them. I'm sure we've all met people like this, but there are not too many of them.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Me too, Fergal, I'm also guilty of that and find it a hard habit to break. And the people you refer to, I find as well they not only listen well but when they say something, it's measured and thought out - there's no knee jerk reaction. They also maintain good eye contact without going overboard. I can think of maybe two people in my whole life I've met like that but the fact that their manner was so rare made them unforgettable.

11. Gracey

Gracey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks

Hello,

I read your blog that was awesome. Thanks for your info it's really help me a lot.

Thanks

#11 Gracey, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  12. inspire_08

inspire_08
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your post is very interesting,lot of tips to be learned from your post,you are really a nice observer..Thanks for sharing....

13. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good tips there abohadi! That is something necessary everywhere whether you are at home, out or yo do a business. This can be applied everywhere.