how to avoid scams and fraud

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Rayman Shakuri, May 22, 2013.

1. Rayman Shakuri

Rayman Shakuri
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I'm Rayman Shakuri, a busy owner of a small business in San Diego. I know as a small business owner, I am a ripe target for scam artists and it seems I may have been the target of a scam/fraud. I have been paying invoices that now I think may be fake invoices. I just payed them without verifying whether there were genuine or not.

Thanks
    Rayman Shakuri

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Rayman.

As a small business owner I would imagine that you were not paying a huge number of invoices. How did you get scammed, did you not know exactly what you were paying for each time you paid an invoice?

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Because you own a small business, it should not be problem to print each order that you actually place, and/or print a verification of the order if/when you receive one from the company you order from. When you receive an invoice, you can then go back to your records and verify that you did place the order before paying the invoice. If you receive an invoice that you do not have verification for, call the company and ask them to send you a copy of the original order or other type of verification before you pay it, If they refuse, and you have no record of the purchase, it's probably a scam, and you don't need to pay it.

• Like Like x 1