How to advertise my company's services to bigger corporations?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Rs1982, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Rs1982

Rs1982
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,
    I recently opened up a small business that offers professional accent reduction services in New York City. My target are professionals who have foreign accents and have difficulty being understood. I would like to advertise our services to the corporations, especially those with large number of foreign employees but I am not sure the best way to do this.

I was thinking of sending them an letter outlining our services with a flyer and business card, but I feel like it would be too easy for them to throw it away without reading it, as just junk mail. I was thinking they might be more receptive if I offer some sort of incentive, like 10% off the first client? If anyone can offer advice as to ways I can reach corporations, I would really appreciate it.

I look forward to learning from all of you.
    Thank you

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

First of all welcome to Business Advice Forum Rs1982.

You could start with one business type, e.g. call centres. Do a little research on those companies to find the contact details for their HR Manager. Then phone that person and give a very brief description of the services you offer, ask them for their permission to send the flyer. Getting this permission will be the main objective of your first call. Once you have their permission send the mailing and follow up a couple of days later with another phone call. You will try to either sell your service on a trial basis during that call or set up an appointment so that you can meet the HR Manager and present your services.

I'd suggest that you should also set up a website that describes the services you offer and use it to promote your business.

How does that approach sound to you, do you feel that it is something that could work for your business?

3. kennyschwimmer

kennyschwimmer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You might think of registering yourself with any of the business websites where you can find the right kind of organizations to promote your business. I know of few b2b portals that can help you with this alibaba, tradekey, indiamart and toboc.com. Hope this helps buddy.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I were in this business, I'd probably connect with some travel agencies or some companies providing immigration services.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ocean Archer

Ocean Archer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Instead of 10% off, try free. Offer the first couple of sessions for free for each person, then if they like it, they'll come back for more and refer others.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rs1982

Rs1982
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you everyone for the input. I will use all of your advice.

Fergal-thanks for the detailed outline of how to approach this. I do have a website already.

Kenny-I haven't heard of b2b portals but I am going to look into it right now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cjarrodsnow

cjarrodsnow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd start with companies that are international, that outsource and that do some expatriating (not sure if that's a word... expatriate). Then call, create a letter, create an email, and get testimonials to add credibility... and Fergal definitely makes a great point to contact HR directly! In addition to your direct efforts, definitely market your services online so when people search for your particular service, they can find you. Good luck and sounds like a great idea!

8. Rs1982

Rs1982
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In the letter I send after I make the initial call, should I include information about pricing?

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When doing higher value business to business sales I generally prefer to leave discussion of pricing until I meet the contact face to face or at least speak to them over the phone. I suppose that's probably because pricing varies from client to client, i.e. in the sales I did there was no single standard price that applied to everyone.

10. Jay

Jay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the forum! Since our society is regularly using the internet as a form of communication, you would be able to attract a greater target through advertising on the internet. You can contact companies in your location through their websites and ask them to post an advertisement on their website for a price of their choice. This would reach small, medium, and big business owners that go on the website.

11. Feroz

Feroz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Rs1982 if you want to market your services to new and fresh clients as well as old clients of this market I will suggest you to use social media for your promotion purpose. Social media is the best way to promote any business and individual now days and it a best place where you will find so many potential clients for your business as well.

12. kennyschwimmer

kennyschwimmer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let me give you more information on b2b sites. This is a place where you can find any all kinds of b2b suppliers and b2b importers. There are high chances of you getting potential customers here who can buy your products in bulk. The most important aspect of this is that it is not only confined to a particular region, you can get customers from across the globe. I have got this one site that can help you get good business leads www.toboc.com

13. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi RS,

I've found it very hard to find ways to advertise to bigger companies - do they even read adverts, etc??. So much of the way they do business comes down to either formal procurement (usually with other bigger companies) or personal relationships. If you don't have the right personal relationships then try building them through Linked In - being connected to someone in the virtual world can at least give you a starting point in the 'real' world.

Hope this helps - good luck!

M.

14. Rs1982

Rs1982
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kenny - thank you for that, it is very helpful.

MarkTaylor - I agree with you. I have tried a few phone calls but I haven't been very successful. I will be spending today on LinkedIn and the b2b sites.

As far as making connections and networking online, would you suggest right away describing your services? Or first messaging people under a different pretense, like "your industry sounds very interesting, this is what I do, I would love to establish a professional relationship"? I am very new to all of this and not sure how people usually network on LinkedIn.

I would like to keep trying Fergal's approach to cold-calling companies, but could use some suggestions to how I am presenting myself. I have been saying something along this line:
    Hi, my name is Romina. I am from Speech Methods, a company that specializes in speech training and accent reduction for professionals. Are there any employees at your company with foreign or regional accents? (wait for answer) I would like to extend a free screening and a free training session to any current or future employees who could benefit for these services. Can I mail you more information?

The people I have spoken to have not been very receptive. I am sure I can improve my confidence on the phone, but would also appreciate any advice to how to improve my speech.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me! I so appreciate all of the advice and am putting it to good use!

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are you speaking to the right people within the organisations you call. i.e. people in the organisations with the budget and the authority to make a decision regarding the services you provide?

Are you receiving objections as to why they are not interested. i.e. are they giving you a reason as to why they are not receptive? If not, try asking for reasons and then work on how you can overcome those objections.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rs1982

Rs1982
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal-I think you're right and I may not be speaking to the right people. I know I should be speaking directly to someone in Human Resources but the websites only give general contact numbers, there aren't directories online. I just did a Google search for how to find HR contact numbers and will give it another try with that. Thanks for your advice!

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Rs1982 when you first call companies and get through to their reception, you could ask them for the name and contact details of their HR Manager. Some companies may be reluctant to give that information over the phone, but a good proportion should be happy to give you the info you need.

18. kennyschwimmer

kennyschwimmer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Appreciate your effort to thank me. Would like to know what have you decided to go with finally. Make sure the cold calls are not made too often and to the same people again and again for them annoyed and report against you.

19. Marius081

Marius081
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can give you an advice...I'm quite sure it is working.

I've seen with my own eyes many times this situation...

1. Find on Linkedin (or other sources) the person which is responsible to negotiate B2B stuff for that company.
    2. Search for this persons hobbies.
    3. Prepare yourself to have a conversation with that person.
    4. Send a gift (related to a hobby) with a sample of your stuff.

If there is only a software send a business card and a flyer ONLY with some bulled points benefits and features of your product.

• Like Like x 1
  20. even

even
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe the business cards are good in terms of marketing your business but word of mouth is the best of all. Once your name has been established then you would not have a problem.