How to access my files again from a RAW hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Anna 90, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Anna 90

Anna 90
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here is my problem:
    recently, my WD hard drive unexpectedly became inaccessible. Every time I tried to open it in “My Computer”, a message would pop out and asked me to format it before using. Moreover, it was also displayed as RAW in “Properties”. I don’t know why? Do you have any idea? I simply want to access my files inside this drive. Help me, please!

2. Cherry74945

Cherry74945
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OK! It sound like you've faced the RAW drive problems. In order to fix the RAW problem, you may have to format this drive for taking a chance. The formatting process always could change the RAW file system of a drive into NTFS or FAR32 (which could be easily read/write under Windows OS).

But, in your case, you have to do one more thing firstly. Since the inner files are really needed for you, you have restored them back at first before the formatting.
    To restore these files, you could try to use some RAW drive data recovery freeware, such as Recuva, Power Data recovery and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

There data recovery freeware always could work much more efficiently than some paid ones.

Next time, I hope you should not save all important things only on one drive.

3. Anna 90

Anna 90
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems that the other ones are not so interested in my question.
    It also makes me feel how precious and helpful your answer is.
    Thank you very much!
    I have read your answer. In fact, I am not really familiar with the RAW drive problem. But, after reading your answer, I have leaned. So, I directly download your recommended data recovery freeware. Comparing from the recovery results, the last one seems to be much better because it has finally restored all my wanted pictures, videos and other documents, etc.
    Thanks a lot!