How to access files on a missing partition?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Ericka79, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Ericka79

Ericka79
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of my friends has a computer internal drive with four partitions. However, recently, one of these partitions is missing mysteriously. He cannot find it in My Computer. Do you know where to find this partition out? He says he really needs to access the contained files on this missing partition. Do you have any idea? Any advice could be appreciated.

2. johns

johns
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi ericha79
    welcome to this forum site.

I want to know which OS your friend is working?

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I once have a client with same problem and the solution I did was to boot a puppy linux os via CD. The operating system will probe everything thats connected to the computer and mount all partition. You might wanna try it too. what did he do before this partition weren't now distinguished?

4. johns

johns
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would generally happen when we format our PC from windows xp to windows 7.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

In Windows XP , if your hard disk partition is missing go through with the following steps to get your missing partition back:

1. Right click to "my computer" icon and go to "manage" option.
    2. Than in left penal of "manage" window in "storage" section click "Disk management" option.
    3. In right side panel you can see all your hard disk partition along with missing one which have no volume label( like C,D,E, etc).
    you have to right click on that missing partition and select "Change drive letter and paths.." option and assign a letter to it.
    4. Now your missing partition is visible to you in your "my computer" window.

You can able to access your data ..... :)

5. Carynn00y

Carynn00y
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It sounds like that this missing partition is corrupted somehow. Can you find it in “Disk Management”?

In order to access all these contained files, you’d better try to restore them back from this missing partition with the help of a third party data recovery programs. I know there are many partition data recovery freeware online that could help you a lot, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

In order to save this partition, you’d better re-create one in Disk Management and format it for future use.

Note: Do not save any new file on this computer drive before you are ready to restore these files in case of data loss.
    Do not save these restored files on the same drive in case of data recovery failure.
    Always back up everything important on separate drives in the future.

6. Ericka79

Ericka79
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your replies! Your answer helps me a lot.
    All these mentioned data recovery freeware are really free and efficient. Now, my friend has got back all his wanted files on this missing partition and recreated a new partition to replace it.
    That’s great!
    Thank you very much!

7. Trevor

Trevor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right click to computer icon and go to Manage option. Than in left penal of Manage window in Storage section click Disk Management option. In right side panel you can see all your hard disk partition along with missing one which have no volume label C,D. you have to right click on that missing partition and select Change drive letter and paths option and assign. Your missing partition is visible to you in your computer window.

8. Aiplabro

Aiplabro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I only want to say something that if all these option will not solve your problem then only one thing can solve your problem that is Format your cd drive /Pen drive will help you to complete this task.............

9. Dexterbell

Dexterbell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Download any History-Recovery software from Google it will solve your problem ....