How should I handle this disgruntled client? Please help!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by sabrinamicro, Jun 16, 2016.

1. sabrinamicro

sabrinamicro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I own a business that my husband and I soley run. We provide social media management services. Payments are due on the first of every month. I didn't receive a payment and waited about a week to contact the client. He apologized and said that he put it in the box. I waited 5 more days and still did not receive anything. He lives just a couple of towns over and I should have received something either next day or two days at the latest. He just started with our services and this is the first full payment he was supposed to make. I then decided to contact him and give him a different payment method. I had previously told him that we were going to be switching the payment collection methods in the very near future so that all of our customers could pay online via credit card or echeck.

His email reply was very rude and he said to cancel his services at the end of the month. He then proceeded to say that it was "ridiculous" that I expected payment at the first of the month.

None of my other clients have any issue with this at all. He also signed an agreement that clearly stated this, so I don't know how that has anything to do with the fact that his payment is late.

My husband and I decided to suspend his account since his payment was two weeks late and his rude manner. We received payment today but the letter is dated that it didn't even send out until four days after he said it was in the box. I verified the funds, deposited it and send him an email stating that his account was reactivated. His response was "Ridiculous".

My questions are:

Is there anything that I did in this situation that was not done properly?

Was it too soon to suspend his account? We just started our business a few months ago and have never had to do this before. At this point we also do all the work ourselves and don't have time to work on clients that aren't paying us.

He clearly lied saying his payment was "in the box". Is he just a rude client or does he have any valid points?

I have to continue working with him for the rest of the month. Any suggestions on how I should communicate with him?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

#1 sabrinamicro, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

He signed a contract saying he would pay you on the first of every month. Then, he lied to you when you contacted him. When you offered him a different payment method, he was rude and told you to cancel his services. It is unfortunate, but like clients who fire a service provider, sometimes it is necessary for the provider to "fire" the client. Rather than waiting until the end of the month, I would have cancelled his contract immediately, and returned the payment to him when it was finally received.

3. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I agree with Joseph. Don't prolong this headache. Cancel the contract. Return the payment and focus your time on the good clients you have.

4. Ink Linguistics

Ink Linguistics
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree about cutting this bad client loose.

If you do communicate with him again though, try to learn something from it. Ask something like, "how could this situation have been avoided?" Maybe he failed to read the contract thoroughly, in which case you can better communicate due dates, or maybe paying on time just doesn't fit in with his view of the world, in which case he's a dud of a client.

Also, automatic payment systems are a wonderful thing :)

5. TechnokratsSujata

TechnokratsSujata
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say make your payment system automatic and online. And for this client, I agree with Joseph.
    By the way on another note, what exact services you were providing him?

6. CoolHandCol

CoolHandCol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cancel the contract - it really is not worth the effort working for people like this. If you continue, he will find something else to moan about. Get rid!!!