How seriously do you take your Local SEO?

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by BizMarketing, Jan 7, 2014.

1. BizMarketing

BizMarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read a lot of threads here talking about SEO and Local SEO. The threads cause me to ask an important question. How seriously do you really take your local SEO?

We talk a lot about local citations and business listings, but sometimes it appears we lose sight of some core concepts that are crucial to helping you succeed. Let me run through a few items that cause some concern.

Not all citations and directory listings are created equal. I see people talk about volume of citations instead of focusing on quality of citations. You want to have a good quantity, but first start with taking care of quality. I am going to break quality into two areas, too.

The first quality concern is the quality of the citation site. Focus on getting citations from the most important locations first. Are you listed on Yelp, FourSquare, Yahoo, Bing, the YellowPages, and Google? Make sure all of your local profiles on high quality sites are completed and indexed before you move onto lower value citations.

The second quality concern is the content you post within your citations. Most of these sites allow you to create extensive profiles. Do you fill them out completely? Do you use unique content on every site? Do you include pictures of your business and/or personnel? Take the time to create a listing you are proud of, and it will bolster your search engine rankings, too.

Missed Opportunities – How often do you turn away opportunities to explode your local rankings? I bet you never thought about that. Did the local high school call your business this year and ask you to participate in any activities that would have lead to your business being mentioned on their website along with a full listing of your address, phone number, and name? You should have done it.

Did the local Chamber of Commerce ask to do anything and you said no? You should have done it, if it would have lead to getting on their website. What about other local organizations including churches, newspapers, clubs, or business groups? If they have a website where they publish stories about those events and mention the businesses, you should take the time to do it.

Hidden Opportunities – Does your business use an insurance agency, accounting firm, lawyer, and a bank? Almost all of those businesses have websites are do client satisfaction profiles. You should volunteer to be highlighted by their business. It is going to take a little time, but those links are powerful. Yes, this is important: http://moz.com/local-search-ranking-factors !

Engaging Your Community – Let me guess. You do not have time to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Google+ for your business. If you do not have the time, you need to assign someone else to do it, or hire a local SEO firm that can. As one example, directorybug.com offers a service to keep their clients listed in social media along with normal local SEO. It has two major benefits for your business. Engaging with your customers reminds them to come back and do business with you, but it also leads to them creating more links back to your website and your online profiles. Yes, even Wikipedia points to social media and social search as being an element of local search, as you can see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_search_(Internet)

Do you remember all of those sites you created citations on, both the high quality and low quality ones? Most of them have areas for customer reviews. You can ask your clients both in your office and through your social media sites to leave reviews for you. Those reviews bolster your quality points for local SEO.

Do you share pictures and videos on Instagram, Pinterest, Flickr, and YouTube? You should. Make sure those profiles are complete and point to your business. Add pictures and videos highlighting customers, their children, your employees, their children, products, and services. You will be surprised at how many people are interested and share your content.

Yes, all of these items take time, but what is the value of being ranked high in your local listings? If you do not have the time to focus on some or all of these elements, find someone who can help. As the world continues to become more mobile with computing, using mobile phones and tablets, your local SEO efforts will become even more important. Your potential clients search for services and products on the fly and call one of the first businesses listed. Will it be you? It can, if you take your local SEO seriously, instead of just trusting on a few citations to get the job done.

• Like Like x 3
  2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I should have take time to do it since the beginning. I'm currently creating youtube channels for my business and then customized its url hoping google will index it in the first page :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. tylerjackson81

tylerjackson81
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are good advice for seo's
    Many call themselves seo experts but i actual they are link builders.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MBA Trainer

MBA Trainer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I appreciate the struggle but for local SEO you have to use the local directories. Other techniques are the same for all types of SEO

5. Towhid Ahmed

Towhid Ahmed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Local Seo is a seriously factor to consider and we all shall focus on local SEO to bring more traffic and generate more sales from our website or blog and help our business to grow. Local SEO is very much a topic to focus on and rather a very important topic to focus on. So everybody try to rank your business in the local positions.

6. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Website is an international wise appearing property, we can do business all over the world with our website. But as you said if we focus on local business with website, we can offer more effective services to our local area clients and customers.

7. kobyparsons

kobyparsons
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As an S.E.O, there is a lot of advice why local SEO is a serious factor to consider and we all shall focus on local SEO to bring more traffic and generate more sales from our website or blog and help our business to grow.

8. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Local SEO does Big Matter. I do see many Local searches with their results on Google ! Most of webmasters do great work on Local SEO and they get good result. So I also be very aware for Local SEO.

9. justinbowen

justinbowen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great tips. I would really recommend doing local SEO for a business. It helps in getting more relevant traffic and the conversion rate will be also very good. You can expect more number of visitors to turn in to a buyer.

10. Glitterz

Glitterz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Local SEO is the way forward. Google recognizes this and is adjusting its algo's to provide relevant local information. Local search can be a very simple and effective way for a local business to get orders/sales/leads etc. As mentioned, Citations, local directories are part of the metrics measured and taken into account but there are much more.

11. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course, Actually Everyone should, because if you will not be serious and focus, You might not get your target Results.

12. TheTravisRoss

TheTravisRoss
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's all about knowing the business and the demographic actually. You can feed the data to local people and let it spread via word-of-mouth or you can actually find resources that are local to a particular area. This way, there can be more focus on local SEO.

13. w3web

w3web
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want local customers then Local SEO is mandatory for any business or if you do not wish to get local clients then don't focus on Local SEO, But remember that backlinks and content promotion both are important, if anything is missing or less weighing in those two then you are left back in the rankings of Google SERP.