How professional web designer's design theme?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by methewcostner, Dec 9, 2014.

1. methewcostner

methewcostner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am learning HTML. CSS and PHP and want to become a freelancer web designer. Should I code the themes manually or use web design software?
    I just want to know how other web designers are designing WordPress themes?

2. andrewc

andrewc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might be best to study up on how WordPress works before creating your own theme. You have to know how to create your own widgets and page templates. I would start by creating a skeleton theme (a basic one) that you can use as your base and that can be changed easily to accommodate the needs of different clients. Everyone's website is going to be different if starting from scratch.

Where I work, the designers build how the website should look based on what the client wants. They build the design in Photoshop or Illustrator, then they give it to the developers to build the actual website. Being both the designer and the developer is a lot of work, but it is very rewarding.

3. Adelina

Adelina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everybody uses their own ways, it depends upon you that what you wan to use ? Some designer go with coding or some designer go with web designs software. Using web designing software like templatetoaster, dreamweaver you can save your lots of time and can generate high quality themes or templates in a lesser time.

4. Rakesh Yadav

Rakesh Yadav
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did not understand your question completely. If you are asking to use softwares like Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc, then you must use them, there is no way around.
    If you are asking to use online website builder like Wix, then you should not go that way. Wix is for end users and not for designers and developers and believe me the output you get with Wix is very limited.
    If you are asking should you use WordPress or custom websties, then as your are starting you should go ahead with custom and later after some months start learning WordPress and converting a custom HTML theme to wordpress theme is very easy.

Hope i helped!

5. addisoncave

addisoncave
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just remember the following theme
    * Theme must have easy navigation.
    * it must look attractive, they use more bright colors with dark and vice versa.
    * They use a particular set of color for a particular type of organization.
    * they seek inspiration from simple things, they focus more on vain than a beating heart cause they know that heart is made from the simple things.
    * they always play cool and take time to do things.

#5 addisoncave, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2016
  6. arjupraja10

arjupraja10
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a freelancer, it is very time consuming if you write code for themes manually. So, I personally suggest you clear your basic concepts of designing and use some theme generating software for designing themes like Wordpress theme generator and Joomla template generator
    TemplateToaster tool .

7. Rob Schneider

Rob Schneider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Using themes saves a lot of your time and as arjupraja above me has mentioned, its less time consuming rather then writing the whole code from scratch.