How old is the average Facebook user?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by TheEntreprenette, Sep 25, 2010.

1. TheEntreprenette

TheEntreprenette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello

I read last night that the average Facebook user is 38 years of age. Initially, I almost fell over as I assumed it would be much lower.

We better take more notice to what we post as our parents could be watching us!!

Regards

Jo

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would have guessed mid thirties so I wouldn't have been too far out. Don't the young set hang out at MySpace anymore or has that fell by the wayside?

If it's any consolation with over 500 million members I don't think the chances of running into your parents are that great unless you tell them your username. ;)

3. mark333

mark333
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the only problem with facebook Kay is your username is almost always going to be your real name! :) And I'm pretty certain Myspace has fallen by the wayside, the majority of my friends are on facebook as Myspace is turning into one big bucket of spam...

Apparently the average age is 38 on facebook... and only 9% are between 18-24. Quite incredible really

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends if you want to use your real name or not. So far on my Facebook, I use my forum name and my real surname. This way, people whom I know from the internet and real life can be able to contact me.

The best thing that Facebook have done to me is to meet new friends and meet some of my old friends who I lost contact with for over 7 years. The last time we met is on my high school graduation. :)

5. mark333

mark333
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Haha your right of course GekiDan and that's a clever tactic there actually using both names. Meeting old friends again is the greatest part of the whole thing especially if it has been so long!

6. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That seems about right, maybe a tad higher (I would have though high 20's to mid 30's). There are plenty of business people who use Facebook, and the current media attention of Facebook and it's usefulness does attract an older community.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chances are your parents will be connected to some of the same people you are and you are quite likely to bump into each other on FaceBook. One of the great things about social networking is that it helps you find and re-establish contacts that might have been otherwise lost - FaceBook is amazingly powerful at bringing the profiles of people you know, or knew in the past, to your attention.