How often do you change your website?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Ali, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Ali

Ali
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I generally update my theme (or upgrade) or change it once a year if I find I need to. Sometimes I add a sidebar or change the widgets around, but I find it's a good idea to take a fresh look at how the site looks on a tablet and on a laptop.

I recently changed where my menu bar was once I found out how it looked on a tablet and moved my social media icons around and made them smaller.

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Changing one's site and updating/upgrading it are all different things.

I rarely change the design for another, unless I found that another layout or content distribution could be more convenient for the surfer or to generate conversion.

When it comes to upgrades, these depends much on the software I am using. If WordPress, I try to keep the core up-to-date but not the plugins.
    Sometimes a plugin developer updates these with the sole purpose to add annoying links, ads or something, or whatever the change is might break the site with the supposed "upgrade" and therefore I'm cautious to determine what to upgrade and what do not, making backup copies first anyway.

However most of the times I use my own coded scripts, and make updates as soon as a new idea pop-ups in mind, or when I see something wrong or that needs polishing when visiting my sites. So that, updates may be as frequent as several times a day, daily or weekly.

3. harrypl

harrypl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Site generally change when any update comes such as recent mobile update, so we need to update the site and create mobile friendly. Also, changing the site when design trend changes.

4. Milo Odin

Milo Odin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on your site and services which you provide on your website.

5. clevelandslim

clevelandslim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usually change my site when I add a new task to my business. I used to update my site once in a six month/ eight months but i'm very cautious with my site designs and content i make only minor change every now and then in my site. Making changes in sites depends on ones business/ services.

6. TechnokratsSujata

TechnokratsSujata
    uix_expand uix_collapse

By change do you mean complete change? This is a lot of work and I guess no one wants to go through changing everything on a website every now and then. I update my site regularly with different CTA, colors, images and blogs.

7. Mike Wilford

Mike Wilford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A websites work is never done! You should make regular time to work on your website making any improvements - if you can find an improvement - make it. If it is perfect then I congratulate you.

8. addisoncave

addisoncave
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I Often change my website theme in three months. I'm a Blogger and My blog is about the Random art and thought, more belong to art. The website Theme depends the theme i chose for my new writing pieces.
    i.e. when i start my blog my theme was quite dark cause the theme of articles was midnight. when i have themes like sunshine i choose bright colors for my theme.

9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

TechnokratsSujata's question is a good one, and Mike touches on one of the reasons you could update your website. Others have also mentioned valid reasons to update a website. If you are adding a new service, or new products, or if there has been an update to the software or hosting provider, then you have to update the website so everything works properly. Also, if you've had the same look for a long time, you may want to update it. But I would not recommend changing a website every three momths, as addisoncave has done. Even for a blog, too much change could alienate your regular visitors, as well as new visitors who may visit your site. For business websites, it could also ruin your marketing efforts if the search engines find a different website every time they crawl it.

10. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally like to have a blog page on my website and try to put at least one article each week. Other than that I don't make too many changes in my overall design too often.

11. w3web

w3web
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My site is not complex but it is moderated one. It is always good to remodel or change the theme of the website at least in a year, but in the case of complex site, it is bit time consuming. But from my point of view, change the website theme or model when your business has some impact on it.

12. Lucky Locksmiths

Lucky Locksmiths
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If your design sells, no need to change it. If you want to improve your web site performance, sure go ahead.
    In general any change is ok, it shows you care about your site and your clients.
    Planning re-design of our website shortly.

13. Lucky Locksmiths

Lucky Locksmiths
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ou update your website often with high quality content. Does change in "rating of a product" count as Freshness for the page?

14. Abdulrahman

Abdulrahman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Updating website every few months is important to prove the activity in this website and show that you take care of and make it easy for visitors to browse it without any difficulties

15. mark-taylor

mark-taylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always look up for more improvements in my website. I often asked developer to make little bit of changes and configure latest extensions.

16. arjupraja10

arjupraja10
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Updating websites can really be challenging, challenging in so many aspects: topics to discuss, article tone, where to get good articles, how to create inviting and relevant article images, article length, and the list goes on.

In updating a website and publishing articles often; time, effort, and money are three investments people fail to capitalize on. Yes, to be able to come up with a kick-ass article, you must spend time and effort to create it or you have to look for a writer who can replenish your need for great articles.

The number of times you should update your website do heavily rely on your type of business. The above-mentioned number of times to update your website base on your business type will bring expected results — increased traffic, visitor returning on your website, the possibilities of avid users sharing your content and website usefulness, increased sales, and the chance to become an industry leader. Again, the possibilities are endless.