How much success do you have with link exchange requests?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Kay, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is something I've often thought about but never got around to asking. How do you persuade someone to exchange links with you, or get even luckier and get them to put up a link without requiring you to do the same?

What I want is a nuts and bolts answer please, like how to phrase your email request.

I'm yet to receive one myself out of the blue that made me want to add their link. What do you find offputting? For me it's pushiness. There's a fine line between being a go-getter and a pain in the butt. :laugh:

Is it really worth the time to find relevant sites or is that time better spent just submitting your link to directories?

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Why would you want to exchange links? Old school, not done, not solid technique
    2. Not common to get now except from spammy sites with a too good be true offer which gets a link from you but often results in nothing beneficial for you.
    3. Submit links through short posts using a link building service
    4. Submit articles to article directories, make article into videos submit through tubemogul or similar, make articles into lenses, hubpages and other web2.0 pages, make artile into podcasts submitted to podcast directories
    5. Submit press releases (can get 100-500 links almost instantly with a good press release)
    6. Submit your business and website to every free online business directory

Those are all far more effective and simple means to get backlinks than trying to do a link for link exchange

3. nirav

nirav
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am getting 5 to 10 percent approval from 100 request. But 5 links also help a lot to get higher SERP.

4. euroblas

euroblas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use automatic link exchange, it´s free and fast. visit here

#4 euroblas, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for that, Tecknowoman. Could you say a bit more please on what you mean by exchanging links not being a solid technique and not done? My understanding was that it was very beneficial to have a link from a high ranking site that was relevant to your niche and that Google smiles upon that. It might be old school but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I'm old myself, ha! :D

I also thought that link building services were frowned upon now by Google. I would like to hear more on that from others as well. Please share your thoughts on these suggestions, folks! I should have added too that I don't have 72 hours in the day LOL.

Thanks again Tecknowoman. And to you, nirav and euroblas.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When you ask someone to exchange links with you, their primary interest is in how the link exchange will help their site. So that's what I would start the request with, give them some info as to how your site ranks in the search engines, the traffic your site is getting and how it is relevant to their site. I would also suggest that you link to their site before requesting the link. If they refuse to link back to you, you can remove the link at a later date.

The same philosophy applies to getting a one way link back to your site. Think about how linking to you, will help them and add value to their site. For example we link to lots of sites in our Useful Online Business Resources thread. We are happy to add links to sites there, that will be helpful to our members and we don't require a link back.

Paris Hilton is an expert at how giving attention to others can make you famous, webmasters could learn a lot from reading this excellent article on how Paris Hilton got famous.

Also, webmasters should only link to relevant sites, preferably ones that don't compete directly. For example a site offering web design services could link to a hosting site, but should not exchange links with a gambling site.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, it's more like 50-50 for me. I have emailed some sites similar to my niche, most of them are online friends, so I don't have a hard time asking for a link exchange. But on others, as long as my site is on their minimum requirements, like niche and traffic, they easily accept mine.

8. John Peterr

John Peterr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its very hard to get approval for the link exchange requests, but if you get the approval there is a lot of weightage given to that link since it has been having some editorial review prior to adding the link.

9. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This morning this must be my third post on control issues...

Link exchanging to me seems labor intensive and I have no control over that site, whether they keep displaying my link, whether it is placed in any relevant, easy to find place people are likely to click...

There are white hat link building services that get great results without penalty (although you pay for them)

My link strategy is to actually place links using anchor text into short blog posts, articles and web 2.0, video posts, podcasts that I distribute which build links to my site of a high quality and relevance.

If I write one quality article for my site I can turn that into an mp3 or podcast, into a video tour,explanation of it, a lens, a hub page, ezine, etc for about 6 individual unique pieces of content which can be used to get me at least 6 high quality deep-links onto specific relevant pages or posts on my site (not just onto a home page) and appear as text anchor links in the content (which I have found means it not only helps SEO but means people reading are more likely to click through).

It also means I can drive them wherever I want them to go on my site and can generate indented listings almost solely through backlinks.

That does not have to be a time consuming or labor intensive job and in my case I am recruiting the retirees that I have coffee with in the morning to be my own article writers, lens and hub creators etc. They just want some "pocket money" and to learn internet stuff so it is mutually beneficial arrangement - one writes well, and one types fast and they like to do stuff together!

PLus at the end of the day it means they can bid to win freelance jobs on elance and the like thorugh the skills they've learned.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But isn't it link exchanging have dual purposes: for getting traffic and for getting Page Rank juice?

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, Fergal, I can't still understand what Link Farms are. How are they different to a normal link exchange?

Or will it be better if I create a new thread about it?

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Link farms are group of websites that all link to each other. They generally contain very little if any content and their sole purpose is to provide the back links, with the intention of moving them up the search engine rankings. The search engines consider them to be spammy and will penalise them, because the links are not natural and are designed to distort the normal listings.

14. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Probably the best thing you can do is to add content to your site that academic sites will want to link to and then feed the juice from these pages to your most important commercial pages. It takes time to do this but it it is worth it in the long run and you will obtain more consistent higher rankings.

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've always wondered why, apart from being part of the megarich Hilton family that is, that she was famous. Great article!

Thanks very much for expanding on that, Techknowoman. That arrangement you have with the retirees sounds like a winner all round. Unfortunately I don't have funds I could justify using to outsource and would need to do it all myself. I love the idea of being able to create so much from one original piece though. If you're willing to share, I'd like to see an example of one of the articles you turned into 6 different forms of content and the derivatives please, just to get an idea how it works in practical terms.

16. rubyclifton

rubyclifton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link Exchange or Reciprocal Links used to be a rage some time back, but its not considered to be so effective now to generate traffic. There are many better ways to do so now. Social Media Websites remain on the top of my mind.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From that said, I don't think my site is becoming a link farm with having lots of links on my blogroll. Since I have more content on it.

And I'm wondering what if someone put a link of our site on a link farm without our knowledge? Are we still getting penalized for it, since engaging in link farms penalizes sites?

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I honestly don't think you have much to worry about Dan. The sites you are linking to are relevant to your blog and to the best of my knowledge you don't own the other sites.

You don't normally get penalised because of a site that links to you, this would make it too easy for someone to damage their competitor's search engine listing. In other words if the search engines penalised a site because a bad site linked to it, it would be very easy for a competitor to damage your site by linking to it from a bad site. The search engines are more concerned with what you do on your own site and who you link to.

19. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is true, it doesnt matter if the link farm site give you a backlink, the link farm site will get penalized but not your site. Your site is only lose the PR juice from this link farm site. Google search actually dont penalize the site easily. And many people are thinking buying link will harm own site, the actual is google will penalize the website that selling link, indirectly reduce the PR juice of the link buying site, that's all

20. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is just for external links, though. It should be about 100 words per external link and Google won't see it as a link farm. If it was for internal links, many millions of sites would get caught out with ease.