How much exercise is important?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Michal, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Michal

Michal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi to all. My question is simple. i just want to get an idea about workout. Tell me how much workout is important for health? How much time you people spent on your exercise. Reply me soon.

2. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends on what what you're looking to achieve. You need at least thirty minutes a day to maintain your figure and keep your metabolism steady.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

30 minutes to one hours per day is good enough

4. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would agree with that, though I get much more than that with the style of job I have. If I didn't have that job, I would look to go to a gym 3 or 4 times a week.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Michal, if you are just starting out with an exercise program I'd recommend that you do gentle exercise for about 30 minutes 3 to 4 times per week and make a commitment to do that for at least six weeks. That will get you into the habit of taking regular exercise and that is a very important first step. Once you have done that you can begin to increase the duration and intensity of your exercise over time.

6. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have some fitness stats on another post and they used a 150 minutes per week of moderate to intense activity as a standard to measure against. This will relate to 30 minutes five times per week.

7. bld.products

bld.products
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recommend swimming over gym. It works you out fully, not only certain groups of muscle. Of course, this in the case you know how to swim :)

8. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's my current summer workout schedule;

70 laps in pool - 3 X/week
    weights - 2 X/week
    martial arts - 2 X/week
    dog walks - 7 X/week

During the winter, the swimming is replaced by snow skiing. So I would not recommend any particular activity over another since a variety prevents boredom and also works muscles from different angles.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a busy exercise regime you have Clint, you are obviously an extremely fit man.

Do you do different body parts on each day? Do you use free weights or machines? Do you do any exercises without weights, such as push ups and sit ups?

10. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not that bad especially since these days, pretty all of my workouts are at home. The swim workouts are about 30 minutes and our pool is in the middle of our townhouse complex. Although I'll use both free weights and machines at hotels while I'm travelling, I have only a few pairs of dumbbells and a bench at home but with them, I can work all body parts. The two weights workouts don't take long either, maybe 20 minutes and that's usually with doing something on the computer in between sets! My home office and home gym are directly across from each other so there's not travel time there.

And with the martial arts, it's about 30 minutes max now and during the summer, I'm out in the backyard and during the winter I'm in my home gym. So no travel again. All of these workouts are maintenance ones.

The only other exercises I do will be ab exercises which are all on the floor and I actually do them just before lunch a few times per week.

So really, it doesn't take that much of a time commitment at all. With a low fat diet plus this type of workout schedule, that's how I maintain my 30 inch waistline even at age 50.

• Like Like x 1
  11. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do jogging every morning and I spent time with at least 1 hour.

12. NikiRebin

NikiRebin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great replies everyone! Clint, I'm so impressed with your commitment to a workout schedule. I think most of us are guilty, at some point or other, of letting things lapse once in a while! But we need to realize that exercise is one of the most important things you can do in your life. What's the point of working so hard to become successful if you don't have the health to enjoy it?

13. Methew

Methew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Physical activity prevent you from diseases, help in weight losand weight managment and better sleep. Exercise make you happier and more relaxed than you were before you worked out. Regular physical activity can even help prevent depression and high blood pressure. Exercise help in burn calories. The more intense the workout, the more calories you burn, and make easier to keep your weight under control.

14. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I certainly agree with you Niki. Health is priority. No point getting cardio disease or ulcers or getting stressed out just for making money. Success is everything, including health.

15. MariahLinda99

MariahLinda99
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mariah

To be healthy a man should take exercise in the morning about half an hour.just after he got up in the morning.And he should take a balanced diet in the whole day like vegetables and milk etc.

Thanks.

Mariah.

16. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest doing thirty minutes in the morning and thirty minutes in the night. I have seen somewhere that doing all the exercise in one chunk is not as effective as doing it in different times. For me, I do one hour of weights Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday and then basketball right after for two hours Monday-Friday. Then a lot of times, I'll go to the beach and swim around in the afternoon. Its a busy schedule :p

17. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There was a time when I tried to do my workouts in the morning but for some reason, that time slot just didn't work for me. I usually prefer late afternoons these days. During my competition years, it was actually mid evenings when I preferred to train. So as far as when to exercise, I would say to people to find whatever time slot that works for you so that you will stick to it. No sense to try and forcefully workout during a time of day when for whatever reason, the chances of sticking to it is minimal.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I exercised first thing in the morning for quite some time and it worked really well for me. It worked because once I got out of my bed I would exercise, if I left it until later in the day I would sometimes miss it because other stuff turned up and the exercise would get put on the long finger. However, I'm much more disciplined now and I never miss a session.

19. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest a healthy mix of Cardio exercise and Muscle toning is really important for anybody's fitness. Technicall it should be one day Cardio & and next day Muscle toning, and this should go on for 6 days a week, with rest on sundays. i had read this on this wonderful site, i am sure it will help you too.
    How to Get Skinny Legs

20. digital150

digital150
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exercise is important, but its important that it is done right. If you are just starting out, take it gently and build it up slowly. There is no good starting out at the top end and hurting yourself doing so. Start off with 30 mins a day and then if you so desire, you could increase it from there.