How much do you invest into SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Ricus, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Ricus

Ricus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are a lot of companies and individuals offering special search engine optimization services, such as onpage optimization, building backlinks or even spreading the word with the help of social media. I am only spending about $10 a month on SEO, as I am capable of doing most of it myself.
    How much do you invest into SEO?

2. malim

malim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

$10 is enough dude :p

3. lwonnaco

lwonnaco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a combination of time and money that I invest into SEO. Like you, I am capable of checking Adwords, Analytics, etc each day along with other website tasks. It runs me maybe 5 minutes tops to grab the data, dump it into a report and file it on my harddrive. I have learned what to look for, what to watch out for and what looks odd and most importantly, what to do with it. I am a naturally suspicious person and when it comes to giving my $$ to a company and I get no tangible evidence that they are doing what I am paying them to do, it makes me even more suspicious. There are dozens of SEO companies out there that offer a free 30-day trial on their services. You could run a trial each month for a year and never pay a dime. The cost of my time and the cost of my $$ simply don't add up to the cost of an external SEO company.

4. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think if you know SEO then nothing :p

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As long as Ricus has the knowledge, time, and ability to do the work himself, $10 may be all he needs to spend. However, for someone who does not have the knowledge level necessary, it is easy for them to be led astray, or do things that they shouldn't because they don't know any better. For them, it may be worth it to spend more to have someone guide them, or to have someone do it for them if they are not comfortable doing it themselves. In that case, $10/month isn't even close to being enough.

Like Ricus, you have invested the time to learn what you need to know to do SEO properly. Unfortunately, you are also right to be suspicious of most SEO providers, especially if, as you said, you "get no tangible evidence that they are doing what I am paying them to do". A reputable SEO firm will keep the lines of communication open, keeping the client informed abou what they are doing, and why, and providing reports about their results at least once a month, preferably once a week if the client can afford it. I would not, under any circumstances recommend that anyone change providers once a month in order to get free SEO. One month is not enough time for any reputable SEO provider to get a viable SEO campaign going, and changing providers every month would not give sustainable results. On the other hand, if the amount of money you pay to an external SEO company is dwarfed by the amount of money you make as a result of their efforts, it would be worth your $$.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cjarrodsnow

cjarrodsnow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All I invest is time, my personal time to learn more about the subject. Google (or Yahoo, or Bing... haha) will give you all the information you need, you just have to read and read some more, then read some more and kind of put everything you read together in your own mind (or take written notes). Once you feel you have a grasp on what all the "experts" (or Internet Marketers) have said, comes the juicy part- experiment with what you have learned. It will take time (give it at least a month) to see if what you did worked... then build on it. Focus on some internal (coding type stuff) for a week or so, then work on some external seo (backlink building etc), then give it some more time... maybe buy another domain and experiment with that one while you wait to see if what you did is going to work... haha... Yes, there are professionals out there that can give you the moon in SEO services, but if you are going to make a career of doing "web stuff" it could get REALLY expensive, so why not learn it yourself. (Sorry SEO people that offer your services on here!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I spend nothing but it is not because I think I know everything about SEO (or even almost everything). The reason I do all my own SEO is that bad SEO can be worse than no SEO.

I get a lot of natural links that have helped my websites rank well for a lot of key words. If I pay someone to build links and don't know exactly what they are doing, step by step, my concern is that I will find that they have either used "black hat" methods or even other methods that may not hurt the rankings but may reflect poorly on my sites.

My sites reflect directly on my business. That means anything to do with my site can create a negative impression.

I am sure there are good, effective firms that can obtain real links from authority sites but unless I found one that came highly recommended from a client of theirs who was not only satisfied with the results but also understood the process of how they obtained the results, it just isn't worth the risk to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is time VS money. Either we invest time to learn SEO or we pay others for SEO job.

For those who plan to outsource SEO work, basically there are 2 type of SEO firm in market:

1. Link builder - fee charge according to number of articles, link submission. (They don't care about the traffic and impression, traffic drop is not their concern)
    2. SEO consultancy - analyst client business according to impression, traffic and sales conversion. (They always plan a strategy to improve client business)

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're going to outsource, you need to know what you're doing and you need to know what the people you hire are doing. Just blindly outsourcing your SEO can be a big mistake - unless you don't care about fatal mistakes and watching your business go down the tubes because someone got overly aggressive with link building and got you penalized.

Or they are "borrowing" content from others (scraping) or engaging in questionable practices.

Even if I did outsource, I would watch what they were doing like a hawk, and comparing the stats to determine if what's being done is effective or harmful.

10. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just hire a SEO freelancer for optimizing your site at cheap and best. But before you hiring you need to be careful with their projects and the achievements. Just it is good to have a face to face contact before you assign a project.

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on how much i earn from that website, normally i will spend 10%~20% of the earning into SEO

12. Crystallaneding

Crystallaneding
    uix_expand uix_collapse

more than $1000 ! no effect!

13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This is a perfect place to remind people of the old saying, "It's not what you spend, it's what you spend it on". Having said that, I am curious to know what you spent $1000 on. Was that the total you have spent so far, or is that a monthly amount. If it is indeed a total so far, how long did it take to reach that amount?
    Are you working on it yourself, or did you hire someone? If the latter, you might want to take a look at this thread, and this one.
    There is plenty of help here, all you have to do is ask.

• Like Like x 1
  14. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It all depends who you are paying and how good they do SEO. SEO is very imporant to any site. Sometimes $100 is engough but sometimes you need to spend mroe then $1000. I personally try to spend around $250 each time I get SEO done for my site.

15. Jason520

Jason520
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on your website and your target products.
    theoretical, SEO costs 0. Well, it is not true.

16. Catherine

Catherine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i just invest no money in to SEO, because I am do all the things by myself. although i know the software can make us benefit more in optimization, I believe in human beings. and sometimes I also use some tools to help me, but most of them are free for me.

17. edgar.hart

edgar.hart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree $10 dollar is enough most of the SEO guy are not using money to invest in it.

18. rajesh

rajesh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not spend a single penny on SEO. I do my own SEO. I do not want to risk my website for getting penalized for unnatural linking. I would also suggest you not to buy links.

19. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I invest no money in SEO. I must admit that I am working in a SEO company here in the Philippines. But you know, if you can do SEO then why spend lots of money? Though sometimes there are some SEOs who are struggling in managing their clients. That's the time when you should invest money in SEO even if you know how to do it.

20. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usually do as much of the process as I can, but $20 is a good budget for me. I don't necessarily have the need or money for higher-end services.