How long to make a style

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Matt, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How many of you have actually tried to make your own style from scratch? Meaning you design it and code it all. If you have done this, how long did it take you? For me, I have never made an actual one, but I have made many, many half styles. I will start out making a style then about half way through, I will think of something better and then a little way through that, I think of something, yet better. Right now I am working on actually completing one. I have been working on it for about a month because I only work on it every once in a while :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are you referring to a style for a forum or something else? If it's for a forum, what forum software?

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Havent made one too.
    CreAting your own style from scratch of course is the best way to ensure your site is unique. Its just hard to think of something new these days that will make it revolutionary.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it about a site's CSS?

5. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I actually started to recode the whole phpBB style. I deleted all the contents of each template. I managed to get the overall header and UCP done within a week. It's only a side project, but if it works out I hope to release it for free. However, anyone who uses it will have trouble making MOD edits. :p

6. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't have the experience in coding styles, but I've designed many forum styles for personal use. Many people who release styles for free to the public and then complain that nobody likes them are the ones who didn't take time either designing or coding it. If you are going to release a style, take your time with it and make it to the best of your ability. After all, the better it looks the more people will use it and in turn, the more links back to your website you will get.

7. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From PSD to HTML. Usually I take 2-3 hours to make css styling, designing will be taken most time, because it require creative idea.

8. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I was referring to making a theme for a forum, yes. Its pretty much the same making a style for all forums.

Yes, plus the designing of the style(CSS)