How Long does forum takes to take off?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Scarface_007, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Just wondering, I have two Forums and I stay online to see if it is getting somewhere but doesn't seem like it. Just needed quick thought on how long it took you to take off? And what have u done to get leads.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Every forum is different and some forums will take much longer than others to become popular. One thing that all forums have in common is that it is not easy to get them off the ground and it really does take a lot of time and work.

Contests can be helpful, but you do need to be careful with them so that you avoid having members who just participate for the contests and then disappear when they are over.

3. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes I agree contest does help but i haven't thought of adding one as I don't have regular members. Problem is that people sign up and never shows up again.

4. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Starting a forum is pretty difficult and it's really down to the administrator to bring in new members and, most importantly, keep them there. Like Fergal said, competitions can help, but don't think you need to offer high cash incentives (although admittedly that does bring more people in) any small contest should attract new members to your community.

There's plenty of free advertising you can do to get the word out about your forum, although this can be time consuming. It might be worth investing a little cash in paid advertisements to quickly bring in some new members, who might do some referral/promotion work for you.

The issue is that there are so many internet forums these days that there aren't many niches left. A search of Google will bring up all kinds of forum, so finding an idea that has never been done (but people still want to use and discuss) is by no means an easy task. If you're picking a general theme (with no specific topic of discussion) I think you'll find bringing in new members increasingly hard. You've got to be able to offer your members something new and interesting, which is obviously easier said than done.

I wish you the best of luck with your forum. Let us know how it develops.

• Like Like x 1
  5. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Generally, forum websites take time to become popular. I mean a looooooooooooong time. There are lots of forums scattered across the net and many of them are dominating and exist for a long time.

There are many ways that you can make your forum known like some sort of advertisements, social media promotions, or you can even promote your website to other forum sites.

6. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a lot of respect for people who manage successful forums. it takes a great deal of promotion and patience before you may see any rewards. Once the snowball starts rolling though the skies the limit as to how popular it can become.

7. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a thought, what are your forums based on? Probably that would give an answer as to why they are not getting popular.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I own two forums, this one (BAF) and Forum Promotion. They are both popular and active. My point was that it takes a lot of time and work to get them to that stage.

9. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Perhaps buying an existing related forum with an active and contributing community is the best way to go forward?

This might not sound like the most attractive option but you can then integrate your new ideas into this existing community, and build on the established user base it already has. It'll cost more than paying for advertising. contests, PPC etc but you have to remember that a thriving forum can also be monetised more easily and so it will start to pay for itself a lot faster.

Might not be the option you want to take, but it's a thought worth considering.

• Like Like x 1
  10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just keep adding articles and tutorials inyour forum. Users usually find tutorials helpful making them register and participate especially if they didn't understand parts of it. Also join forumpromotion.net for advices.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi fergal,

I think i misquoted. My question was for the OP and not you. Pardon me for that.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Rocky, that's fine :) My forums still have a lot of room to grow, I'd like them to be at the level where they have tens of millions of posts.

13. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, if you keep working hard like you already do then we would surely see that many posts on the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  14. brandy

brandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is no specific time that one can say a forum will take off. It is like starting any other business where you only hope (you are optimistic) that it will be successful one day but not being certain the day it will become successful. You need to persuade people to visit it and help you in posting threads. You can pay people to keep posting on your forum so that when other people will be visiting it they can get some threads that they will reply. Market your forum on the internet just like any other website. Optimize it on the search engines.

15. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Everyone for replies everyone contributed to the thread and it helps a newbie like me to get thoughts of people and try to implement those ideas and see if it would improve it overall thanks once again.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

My forums one is Tech related and the other is sports.. My main one is the Tech one.