How long did it take you to make money?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jerlene, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm just wondering, for the small business owners, how long did it take you to start earning revenue? Not only revenue, but how long did it take you to start seeing PROFIT? Do you just get by, or is your business well off?

2. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've always had a profit but I started real small. So small that unless you have a regular day job or you're living with someone for free, there's no way you'd get by. I made a few hundred bucks a week fixing iMac G5 main boards but that certainly isn't going to provide enough money to go live on your own. Over the course of the next few years I did expand to the point where it's comfortable living.

This post from me goes into more detail on how I started and expanded. Though you got to remember it's a whole lot easier to post a profit when you've invested $50 and work out of a bedroom than if you invested $500,000 and just opened a McDonald's franchise.

There's plenty of businesses you can start with no money, there's also plenty where you need a lot of money. Generally speaking the ones you can start with no money are going to take a lot longer to post a meaningful profit; they'll profit almost immediately but it's not a profit you can live from. On the other hand ones that need investment (say a McDonald's); you might be paying off debt for quite some time but you're going to take in a meaningful amount of money in a shorter time. If that forms profit or not is another story but there's a whole lot of variables in business.

I still think the best way to profit is just do what you love. It won't feel like work and you'll do a much better job. I had tried a few non tech related things and they just bombed because I couldn't get my heart behind it; the tech stuff seemingly posts a profit without even trying because it doesn't feel like work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Start Making money or Profit .Two different cases

Real Profit comes only after your business have reached a breakeven point....Start making money can be anywhere soon after you have started your business. Cash Inflow is must and should not too late as it adversely affects your prospects and chance of success..So kick start work and sales as soon as possible after starting up...

Although I will agree its litlle bit easy for small business owners to achieve their Breakeven point early than big businesses if they are able to maintain a steady cash flow and sales...