How long did it take you to establish your online business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by mtwheeler03, Jul 30, 2012.

1. mtwheeler03

mtwheeler03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello everybody,

i just recently started my online business and i was wondering how long it took all you guys and gals to get your business established and make a decent income from working online.

about a month ago i was introduced to the whole internet marketing, online business thing by finding out about Dotcomsecrets X. I ended up finded out about it after getting my hours cut at my part time job and searching online for ways to work from home.

After signing up for dotcomsecrets a month ago i started learning a lot about online business and i also learned this information very quick. (I am not trying to sell dotcomsecrets to you guys and gals, that is not the point. i'm just giving you some information about me, if you do need help getting you business start you can click the link in my signature for a free video about dotcomsecrets.)

Okay so during my first 5 weeks with dotcomsecrets i've already gotten about 2,000 clicks to my offers and squeeze pages... i have gotten 50 subscribers to my list... and i have also made a website and youtube video and got both of the ranked on the first page of google and youtube for a certain keyword. On top of that i have had a few sales.

Fact is i'm not where i want to be but i know i will get there with perseverance...

anyways back to the main question i wanted to ask everyone here...

How long did it take you to establish your online business?

now by established... i mean making atleast about 100 dollars a month from it.

At the moment i am making 50 dollars a month... by next month im hoping to be making atleast 150 a month.

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I started, I was earning around $20 a month - pretty low actually but that was per client, so I have 3 clients before each $20. It was a freelance.
    Now that I am working on a corporate setting, I earn way more than that - though I can't share it here. :)

3. StarkSEM

StarkSEM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Takes a lot of time. I still work a day job while running a small SEO/SEM firm and now I'm branching off into E-Commerce sites.

Just hand in there.

4. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, establishing yourself includes maintaining it?
    Because there are many ways to get established, but the hard part is when it comes to maintain it.
    Plus, an ambitious person always looks for more, never stays at the "established state" q;-)

5. StarkSEM

StarkSEM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everyone will have their own opinion about what "established" means.

My version of established is when your business is consistently in the green, after hosting/marketing/payroll/etc.

6. Choice Checks

Choice Checks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It takes alot of time and work. Gota get a good market, have a great looking web-store (eCommerce), great keywords, and always offer best customer service possible. On average, can take 3-6 months to get it going good. NEVER...NEVER believe the SEO companies can guarantee you 1st place, on Google over night. Its just not possible at all. I researched for about a yr before i put all of my stuff together. Been going good and strong for over 6 1/2 yrs.

7. StarkSEM

StarkSEM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's very true. SEO/SEM has a long time. The quickest I've had major results for (Zero to being on the Second Page) is a little over 3 months.

If they offer a package, usually won't work in the long run. Just always be careful.

8. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i am working on it! and is looking forward for a great output!. :)

9. mtwheeler03

mtwheeler03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

just got a sale today great way to start off the month i am hoping to grow my business a lot more this month!

10. chixfashionz

chixfashionz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just like their offline counterparts, online businesses need varying amounts of time, money and energy to get off the ground. I had one online business which really struggled for 2 years because it is in the marine industry (which is being killed by fuel prices and the GFC). It is still going but not going anywhere fast. But I also have a retail business and that has done well, but the first year was the hardest.

If you enjoy working online and especially from home, you can run more than one business and see what suits you. It's one of the key benefits of the internet!

11. cjarrodsnow

cjarrodsnow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It sounds like you are definitely on the right path. I would say the most important thing with becoming successful with a website (any website) is #1) Quality Content/Product and #2) Build Backlinks (without being spammy!). Build backlinks with social networking sites, social bookmarking sites, forums, blogs, and anywhere in between. Pay particular attention to building backlinks from sites that have a decent page rank and in the industry that you are in. To check page rank, go to google and search "page rank checker." Some great backlink sites are delicious, tumblr, stumbleupon, wordpress (create your own blog and write about your product), etc. Additionally, you'll want to anchor your backlinks for the keyword you are going for. If you are selling poptarts, try to anchor poptarts with link to your site in anything you write about. Google pays attention to the way your site is linked, and anchored keywords are definitely an important part.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mtwheeler03

mtwheeler03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for the tips and suggestions cjarrodsnow i am very eager to see where i will be in about a month from now.

13. robin1986

robin1986
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should apply some online marketing techniques to get establish your online business quickly. As soon as your online business popular on internet you can get more visitors and in return they may convert in sales.

14. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Any business takes time to develop. Getting over eager or deciding that you need to make money quick, is a good way to incur search engine penalties (and shoot yourself in the foot).

My first online business took a year to start earning money, but really at about 4-5 years does it start to mature.

How fast one earns is not a fair question, because it can depend upon a lot of factors. It can discourage those who are truly on the right the track, too.

15. nvir477

nvir477
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes....starkSEM you are.. SEO and PPC is is the good way for that.

16. jinidhano

jinidhano
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I started I made $60 - 70 for 1st month and afterwards I started making $100 plus per month

17. jinidhano

jinidhano
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Also the number will vary as you move upwards

18. mtwheeler03

mtwheeler03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i got two sales my first month which = 50 $ but both sales where refunded :(
    i'm about 10 days into my second month and i have gotten 3 sales already which = 100$ already :D

I want to make atleast 3 mores sales before this month is over... i have used mostly free traffic sources to get these sales... once i get some extra cash i'm going to invest into some paid traffic. Hopefully that will shifts my business into the next gear. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ilovedesign

ilovedesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As others have mentioned, time and patience are your friends. All you can do is wait a bit and see how things progress.

20. mtwheeler03

mtwheeler03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes i have now learned that it best to learn as much as you can when you are just starting your business.

After your feel like you have learned enough about your craft then that is when you dive you head first.

consistency and dedication are very important!