How long did it take to make your first sale?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by bovemman, Aug 25, 2016.

1. bovemman

bovemman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I've just recently started up a business with a friend of mine selling beard care products. Although it has only been a little over a week since we officially launched the business we have yet to make a sale from someone we didn't know personally.

I was just wondering how long it took some of you guys to make your first organic sale?

I'm worried that I got into a market with too many players and what I'm offering isn't enough for people to buy from my business. But I'm also wondering if my worrying is just me overreacting due to the fact that I have yet to make a sale.

Anyways, the name of my business is Bovem , and I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me any advice on ways that I could improve the website.

Thank you.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Have you done anything to promote the business and/or website? You've only been in business for a week, which is not long enough for your potential customers to find out you exist. Marketing a business takes awhile, and it will continue as long as the business exists. If you want a quick boost, you can try email marketing, offering a discount to the email recipients. You should be aware, however, that many people, myself included, will delete any email, without reading it, from anyone I do not do business with on a regular basis. So, it may take a lot of emails to get a sale.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bovemman

bovemman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been running advertisements on Facebook and Google Adword since the start of my business. The cost per click has been pretty low on both of the ads but none of the clicks are converting. And as far as email marketing goes, I have a list but not many people are subscribed to it at the moment. I'll probably work on building up my mailing list as you've suggested.

Thank you.

4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

If you been running adverts and they aren't converting it men's one or more of the following:

The keywords are wrong
    The adverts are wrong
    The landing page is wrong

So what you need to do it start fixing the above. If you are getting clicks but not conversions then change the landing page. If people aren't clicking change the advert. If you aren't getting impressions change the keywords.

5. Ramona Vandusen

Ramona Vandusen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is hard to determine what you goods are. Also, looking at a table runner or wall paper. And you offer both. Also, have you determined your target customer? Once you have, I would find a way to get in front of them. Now that I have read a little about you, your spouse and your tour to Africa, I understand your store a little better.

6. Rockpapercopy

Rockpapercopy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Indeed, a week is still to early to determine whether your website / ads are working. I do not recommend focusing on the ads at this point, configure the website first, research which products / keywords will be most cost effective / will bring most traffic to your campaign, how to target the audience and then start advertising slowly. Also determine whether Facebook is the right platform to find the audience? Have you tried Twitter? Instagram? You might have better luck on instagram in my opinion - not ads, but Influencer campaign - it's wonderfully cost effective and can bring fantastic results once you've done your homework.

Your website looks great, my only suggestion would be to add related products section to a product page - it will increase an order value through up-selling and extend the time customers spend browsing [important SEO factor].

7. Kimberly Stannis

Kimberly Stannis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It took probably a month to get a sale, but it wasn't until about 4 or 5 months that my first affiliate-based website really got rolling. It takes time, but the more effort you put in, the more sales you will eventually receive.