How is this fair? What to do?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by fess, Oct 9, 2011.

1. fess

fess
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Am I being unfairly treated? My father started the business and built it to a good sized enterprise. My brother and I both worked there early then i went to college and got several degrees including one masters degree, while teaching. My older Brother stayed with the business. He has never worked anywhere else or gotten any degrees.
    I left teaching and asked Dad to pay me what I was getting as a teacher. He said he couldnt because brother wasn't making that much. (1st clue)So I asked him to pay me on commission.
    He agreed to pay me on a scaled commission for different types of sales, depending on the type of sale it was. He then offered to also pay me an hourly wage to watch the shop when he or brother couldnt be there.
    At this time he was also building a farm. My brother and i helped all the way to build the farm and business into what they are today.
    Several years ago Dad began paying my brother much more than before. as he took over as manager.
    This was not discussed with me. He gets a monthly bonus as well, which has gone on for 12 years with no taxes being taken out.. Brother takes off as much as he wants, never attends conferences, and/or trade shows, has unlimited sick leave, 3 weeks paid vacation plus unlimited personal time and a company truck although he does not deliveries or estimates in field. I have an old company car with 200000 miles he has offered to replace. The truck is a nearly new 1 ton.
    The problem is we are losing money. Our company has posted -10% profit the past two years. Meanwhile Brother is getting half of Dad's hay and spending lots of time on the farm while I get paid $12 per hour to do his job. I get some hay too, Dad puts up about 900 round bales a year. He pays men to cut and rake and ted it but Brother comes out to bale it. It is Dads land and equipment. Brother gets approximately half the hay all the while he is also getting paid to run the shop. I am getting paid to do what he is already getting paid to do. I get about 100 bales of the worst hay they have for my horses. Brother gets approximately 400 bales....maybe more I couldnt say....I cant really keep track.
    As far as the business goes I have tried to find out our financial picture many times but get stonewalled. Dad age 77 and brother attempt to keep me in the dark. Mother doesnt know all of this but suspects a lot and worries I might leave the business. I am looking. If I have to I will leave the state to find a decent job. This mean their day to day needs will be hard for me to see to. They both have failing health and Brother spends very little time taking care of that part. His wife demands too much of his time when it comes to them. He had better finances than me and has a larger cattle herd. I have sold my cattle over and over to pay off bills due to going to college, getting divorced from first wife, medical bills etc.
    I am looking for a way out without getting too much stress. I have health issues too, as well as financial problems. My wife works out of town 50 60 hours per week with no benefits while his gets a disability check and free health care from the "govemet"
    Do I sound pissed off? I am.

2. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would sit down in a respectful way with your dad and bring up all the issues that are bothering you. Don't accuse him of anything as that would probably just upset him and not get you anywhere. You can tell him your feelings in a nice way and explain to him that you would love to keep working together but you may have to go elsewhere in order to support your family. Even if he is treating you unfairly, I would get out of the business and move on. It is not worth it to start a family feud, even though you may be the one being treated unfairly. You have a college degree, you could put it to good use, without having the stress and anxiety that accompany you in your dealings with your family.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fess

fess
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, i have done so (talked to Dad) and haven't gotten the things i need, in fact I am not sure how much longer the business will be around as it is currently structured. With my degree I could be making from 200 to 250 per day as a teacher with a great retirement, paid holidays and sick leave. As it is now i am making 160 to 190 per day. if I am locked in to never making "more than my Big Brother" than i have no opportunity as he is satisfied (as he should be) with his income. ...Gary make it 60...lol.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is there a reason why you don't do that? As Gary suggested do it amicably so that you don't fall out with your family.

5. fess

fess
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is hard, selling my farm and leaving family, and in some sense rewarding Bro for his bad behavior...just pisses me off. I know he will just continue to suck the business down and then start on the Farm, but if my parents want to let him i would rather not be here to see it up close.