How important is Domain Age to SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by askpreeti, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. askpreeti

askpreeti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i heard that if your domain is old than it will help in SEO.but i have query that how it helps in seo?

2. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I assume you are asking whether it is easier to get a new domain ranked or an old domain ranked assuming everything else about those domains is equal.

As of right now, I don't think there is any advantage to having a 10 year old domain compared to a six month old domain, at least not for Google.

Two years ago, I would have said that an older domain had a strong ranking advantage. That does not appear to be the case anymore according to my experience.

You can get a brand new site to outrank really old sites pretty easily these days.

So, if there is any advantage at all (from an algorithmic standpoint) then it is too small to be worth worrying about.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

More important than the domain age is what the owner has done with it. As Ted has pointed out, a domain will not help simply because it is old. A domain with an authoritative, respected website on it is worth more to the person who owns the website. However, if someone else buys the domain, thinking that the age of the domain will help their rankings, and puts a brand new website on it, any ranking they get will depend on the quality and relevancy of the new website.
    What if someone owns a domain, but the website on it has dropped in the rankings? Can they fix it by buying an older domain that has high ranking? No, because the domain is not the deciding factor - the content of the website is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's a lot of factor accompanied with old domains. Some folks believe that old domains have great advantage in search ranking. Well, you should be looking for some factors like, incoming links, brand exposure, social engagement, etc. For example if a domain is 10 years of age, and these things have done to that particular domain, then it will definitely have a good search ranking.

However, on the contrary, if nothing has done to a certain domain, then 10 years is only equal to even a 1 month old domain. You might also wanna look at this video:

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/age-of-site-and-old-links-whiteboard-friday

• Like Like x 2
  5. Michail98

Michail98
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great Point Joseph, that is unless it has a PR ranking already that suites your niche. You have to do some research of course, but I have found that a older domain with PR that's related to the niche will help. But like you said, if someone has degraded the name by their actions then there's no value.

• Like Like x 1
  6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If old domain work, domain registrar companies surely collapse. Because no one willing to purchase new domain, no one afford to purchase old domain as the price keep increasing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The only thing that matters is the quality of the site. If this new website attracts more visitors a day and steadily increasing visits through the week, more chances for it to rank. Users/Visitors are looking for quality websites that will give what their need. Content is one factor that will help to pull more audience to your website. So the quality assurance of the content is a must. Make sure that links pouring in the website comes from good source and related to the products and services of your website.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pet09

Pet09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically a website hosted for 1 year may considered as a spam website. But when a website is hosted for 10 years here comes the trustworthiness.

• Like Like x 1
  9. guptaabhijit318

guptaabhijit318
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A brand new website could have great content, but it takes a while to develop trust with Google. However, if you are going to buy an existing website chances are they haven’t done the greatest job when it comes to SEO. The reason so many people feel that the age of your domain matters is through subjective evidence. In other words, there are many testimonials that claim older sites did much better ranking on Google than newer sites, yet no one could explain it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Simply being around for 10 years does not mean that a website is trustworthy. As Leejeong mentioned, the quality of the website on the domain is what matters. If a "spam" website is working, why can't it stay up for more than a year? Also, if a website is brand new, it may not have built trust yet, but that does not automatically mean it's a "spam" website.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WebNet Host

WebNet Host
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The age of domain name is important. Also it is important how long belongs to you from now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It has already been mentioned that age of a domain is not the only deciding factor on whether a website's ranking increases. What's important is the quality of the website connected to that domain. You say that "it is important how long it belongs to you from now". What if someone owns a domain, but puts a low quality website on it - Will how long they own the domain really make a difference? I think not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In some cases, domain age is important to SEO. It just tells you that they have been here for years, just like the authority you are having when you know that person is on the job for how many years. But it also is affected by other elements as to whether it is updated and contains unique fresh contents.

• Like Like x 1
  14. seolyka2

seolyka2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Still domain age is one factor to be an authority site as long as your website follows Google guidelines and not making any spam.

• Like Like x 1
  15. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Doesn't matter if its old or new. I can see there are newly registered domains that rank well than those old ones.

• Like Like x 1
  16. askpreeti

askpreeti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes agree with you. even i have seen new domains with top ranking. my question was whether age factor is important in ranking or not? and if yes then how much important it is?

17. askpreeti

askpreeti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you for such brief explanation for my query. now domain age factor is no more important for me.

18. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Age plays a part in your SERPs but it's not the only factour a robot calculates to determine where they're going to place you in the search engines.

19. soabbd

soabbd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It doesn't matter is your domain is old or new at ranking factor, its depend on your SEO and visitor count

20. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, age does play a role in your search engine rank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.