how important is a unique theme for you wp site?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by daytrader, May 2, 2010.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

can you tell me how important it is to have unique theme for you wp site in terms of seo?
    if you have a site with a free theme that you download somewhere and this theme were use by millions of sites, how does this affect your search rank?

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Assuming when you say wp, you mean WordPress, your theme doesn't affect SEO, full stop. The coding of the theme may, however Google won't say your site will be ranked second because you have the same theme as 100 other people. Note that the default WP theme is used by many, and it doesn't affect their ranking at all.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great question and thanks for the answer, David. I learned something there. :) It's nice aesthetically to have an original theme. So many free WP themes can be tweaked beyond recognition though that I don't think it's worth paying to have one custom built - especially now that I know it doesn't affect the SEO if you use a common template.

Of course, I could just be cheap. :D

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO have nothing to do with the site's design. The coding may affect, like David says, like meta tags and descriptions.
    But having a unique template/design makes your site stand out among the rest of the sites of the internet. Remember, a good design makes visitors stay and return to your site.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well having a unique theme is a good start for seo but you can go ahead with free theme also.the most important thing is content, which should be updated regularly.

so content is the king.

6. Zackrh

Zackrh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Themes can have an impact on your SEO. Some of the free themes (or even premium themes for that matter) may not be optimumally coded. What I mean by this is some themes may have a lot of extra code that is unnecissary. Many of the premium themes like Thesis are cleanly coded and are SEO friendly.

Also, Google looks at page speed in their algorithm now. So, if your theme has large image files and is poorly coded, the page speed could be slow and your site could could be negatively affected by this in Google's eyes. Page speed is important for Google as well as your visitors.

Another note is many free themes are loaded with outbound links to the designers site. You can go in and remove this manually. On the flip side, if you offer a free theme and embed links, you can generate some good inbound links.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, I don't really recommend removing those. Why?
    It's because people who offer these themes works hard and putting their links on your site is their only consolation on what they are doing. Plus, these links doesn't really hurt your site since they are just posted on your footer.

Leaving those links is a good way of saying thanks to them.:D

8. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Also, a way a website is coded affects your website EXTREMELY. The design itself, what you view and see, has little to do with anything besides appeal. Though, I can speak on behalf of all website designers that actually know what they are doing - that if a website is coded "wrong" or not with the latest standards, it can effect SEO and can not be so search engine friendly.

Also, there are some techniques out there, that I use on ALL of my websites that help with increasing SEO. For example, a header tag, H1, is ranked higher than a paragraph tag, p. Google knows this and so looks for the keywords in those header tags. Yet, if your template creator lacks that knowledge - well you are losing out on some SEO there.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree absolutely! And if you take the time to look at the readme file that comes with the theme, it will often say specifically that you must leave their footer intact or pay them a fee to use the theme without it. I think a footer link's a small price to pay for all their work. Most designers make it fairly unobtrusive anyway.

10. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends. It means one more outbound link, which advertisers do not want, as they only get a share of your PR. But yes, definitely keep them there and 99% of the time, its there by the terms and conditions of using the theme.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, if you are knowledgeable in HTML, you can put nofollow attributes on those links by adding rel="nofollow" on the anchor link tag.
    This way, no PR juice gets passed to them. :p

12. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think the creator would be too happy then :$$:

13. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i might agree with him though.
    removing is probably a good idea for those developers are violating the public license itself.
    if developers insist., i'd stay away from that theme and find another.

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The theme is not affecting the SERP but the theme can really affect the CTR if you are running PPC or affiliate program