How HR can add value to your business

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by bytrade001, Jun 7, 2011.

1. bytrade001

bytrade001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the accusations most frequently levelled against human resources development teams is that its operations are no more than sporadic reactions to crisis, making no essential difference to the organisation, its products or services, or its people. In other words, that the development of people does not add value to the business.
    First of all, HR shouldn’t get ‘sniffy’ about this but be prepared to stand up and be counted. If it does add value, this should be clear and persuasive even to the most hard nosed CEO or business owner.
    So here’s how HR adds value to a business
    Turning around a failing business unit / troubleshooting
    Identifying and delivering cost savings
    Preparing a business for sale, merger, acquisition or takeover
    Identifying and opening up new markets
    Interim Executives are a cost effective and flexible strategic resource, and increasingly organisations are recognising the benefits of deploying their skills and expertise including:
    Importing and hiring experience quickly
    Project delivery and outcome focused, so the Interim Executive is not distracted by corporate politics etc
    Hands-on with full responsibility, recommends and implements based upon practical and proven experience
    Will coach, mentor and share wisdom with your existing staff
    Increasing the value of human capital
    People are increasingly referred to as human capital and if the workforce is an asset, it’s worth protecting that investment and getting it to appreciate. This can be done by looking after the welfare of people and investing in training and development leading to a more motivated and skilled workforce.
    The bottom line
    The net result is that you have reduced costs in litigation and putting things right, a more stable, motivated, skilled and productive workforce leading to fewer errors and customer complaints, increased sales and greater market share and ultimately, increased profits. That’s how HR adds value!.....read more http://news.bytrade.com/info/918-How-HR-can-add-value-to-your-business.htm

2. Ava OuYang

Ava OuYang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Put the right persons in the right places. It is a good way for a company to increase its key competition. People is the key component in a company.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depend on the decimation of value added. In lean system, hr considered ad non value added, and even Qc are also non-value added

4. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't recognise any of the functions mentioned above as anything to do with traditional HR.
    Sounds more like a quiet company takeover by the HR department, than anything else.
    1. Turning around a failing business unit / troubleshooting
    2. Identifying and delivering cost savings
    3. Preparing a business for sale, merger, acquisition or takeover
    4. Identifying and opening up new markets

HR may provide some peripheral support function for these, but these are responsibilities of the executive management team, not HR.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hrcanada1

hrcanada1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HR should not be sniffy about it but be ready to stand up and be counted. If it does add value, it must be clear and convincing even the most intransigent of the CEO or owner of company.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've seen instances where HR departments were more of an inhibitor to the business than an asset. A HR department should obviously be concerned with the welfare of employees, but not to the extent that it is damaging to the business, in my opinion.

7. Joel

Joel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, HR is pretty useful, and I heard it can also improve your SEO and rankings. Search engine will count in this too.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Joel, I'm not sure that you read the first post in this thread. HR refers to Human Resources and it won't help with your SEO.

9. Joel

Joel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whoops, sorry, i thought the HR this thread was referring to was the code tag.

10. Andrew Clark

Andrew Clark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, HR really plays a big role on each company. Thats whay we have some HR Consultancy.