how have you started your IT business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Natcoweb, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Natcoweb

Natcoweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How have you started your IT business?
    Was it difficult?

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At first I was just providing technicians servicews within our village and then I go online and join a community of technicians. If you are willing to collaborate with few people in the Industry, try talking to the online computer people near your area. These people are more than helpful to give you something like a template to use for your website and such.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends what sort of IT we are talking about and how much you know or are willing to do.

My first IT thing was simple, if you can use a soldering iron and have about $50 to invest you can do this right now. It still works today just the margins aren't as great anymore. - All I did was buy iMac G5 systems either online, at a thrift shop, etc. that turned on but wouldn't work. Usually they have lines on the screen which meant the capacitors on the board went bad (lots of Dell systems have the same problem, even today). Fixing it was as simple as open it up, change out the bad capacitors that cost about a buck each so it never costs more than $20 to fix the system, and sell it on eBay. Generally speaking I'd pickup a system for about $50, spend $20 max fixing it and about 30 minutes of time, sell it again for $250-400 depending on screen size.

After that I did a bit of tech support where I'd take calls, go down to their place, and fix whatever needed fixing. This was quite a bit harder as you'd find out pretty quick when they say "oh my printer is broken" half the time it's not the printer; they probably don't actually own a printer. It's really some virus screwed up the system and it needs to be back up in an hour because every bit of financial information is in their quickbooks program and it's payday. - The money was great if I went to a business as they had no problem shelling out upwards of $200/hr. If you went to someones house, forget it. If you charge minimum wage they'll still complain the price is high. Stick to business calls and you'll be fine; tech support paid for my turbo Porsche when I was 21.

Beyond that I started a non-profit that recycles electronics. It's the most complicated, and took the most startup money by far, but for me it's not the hardest. I basically take electronics, buy them at auction or have them donated, pull the parts, sell the parts, and the trading surplus is donated to various educational programs. It's not rocket science but starting it took money; first couple months I spent $10k or so getting setup as I needed a large warehouse, I needed supplies of stuff, tools, licenses to legally recycle e-waste, paperwork to be a non-profit, etc.

So yeah, it depends on a lot of things. What you know is key, if you have no clue how to fix computers then don't do tech support because it'll take too long to learn. I spent my childhood, literally... it took me 5 years to graduate high school, messing with computers. - The other two things pretty much anyone can do. Soldering new capacitors on a board you can do from a fold up table in your living room.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AsinNetworks

AsinNetworks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its been one and a half year now since I started my IT company I went into lots of ups and downs because I did not made any strategies before starting up now I am settled up with a small BPO but still facing some issues to bring back my business on track.

5. 2misi.com

2misi.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you already know what type of business to run, then the next step is to put the business plan in writing.
    Choose your target market, pick business location, manage your financial, register your business and start to hire employee.

6. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have just started my business and the problems I am facing is to add leads.

7. angrystone

angrystone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I started building easy websites for a few friends in 2003 ( my background was computers ). Then dropped fliers into a lot of letterboxes to get more clients and after that referrals started coming. so it wasn't too hard. Once you have some work though, you need to write down you goals and targets, mission statement etc and sort out your finance lines so that there's money for promotion, money for your equipment set aside as well as your pay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't started my IT business but I would like to start one. But I have seen / experienced IT business ideas in my town. It would be somehow difficult in rural areas But in towns, the business can go smooth. Here in Nepal, IT business can gain alot of profit if you can plan and lead well. For this kind of business you need to have skilled manpowers like technicians and mechanics. I think we need a handsome sum of money in this kind of Business.