How 'hard' do you work?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by JPM, Jul 22, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have worked in retail for over 10 years, and in management for 8 of those. In my time I have seen many members of staff come and go, having worked in 20 different stores. I have worked with many different managers and management teams, and naturally have seen differing levels of work ethic. In my time in work, I believe I have always worked as 'hard' as possible and as smart as I possibly can, though I am always learning.

What I question though is how hard do you need to work, and how hard do you work?

Sometimes I believe I work too hard and my energy outside of work suffers, but it is in my nature to put in 110% every minute of every day. Meaning I work extra time and put in more hours, not because it is expected or because I need to, but because I want to.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like to work hard (and smart) like you do but I also balance it out with playing hard. So although my hours can go by quickly if I'm involved in a big project, I always set aside time to play with my dogs and workout. During the winters here in Canada, I work like crazy during my home office days so I could get out and spend at least two, even three full days of skiing.

So when I'm actually working, I like to dive right in for maximum productivity but play hard during the times when I'm not working.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i always think that i'm not work "hard" enough. i dont like work OT and i tell my guy not to work OT unless special case.
    Working OT is considered as work "hard"? or it is due to low effectiveness/productivity? I always ask this question to myself when i saw my guy work OT, then i talk to the guy on next day to know what's going on, let him tell his problem.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Over time doesn't mean someone is working hard in my opinion. It just means they could possibly manage their time more effectively.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can be either too much load of work or low effectiveness. Mostly of them are second case as you say but still some can be the first case when lack of man power. Can't make the conclusion before understand the actual situation.

6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True, which is why I said possibly. There are lots of reasons for a need for OT, these are two.

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although you works OT due to lack of man power or some other reason, it should be solved as soon as possible, can't just let it go for long term. If this problem not being solved, then you never have enough time and keep working OT

8. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is more than just that though, it could be time management and other issues that are playing a large part of the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe I work extremely hard for my age. More than I should do.

Hmmm. I'll try not to make this sound boastful. :p

There's not many 16 year old web designers. Most of the teenagers here in Britain, just waste their lives by hanging around on streets, vandalising property and getting criminal records. I mean, the other day, a teenager set fire to a tree in the park behind my house. I wouldn't dream of doing anything like this. I would much rather be sitting on my computer doing what I enjoy, or playing sports with friends. When I look at my neighbourhood, I notice that I'm possibly the most sensible teenager in it.

10. PETER RIDELL

PETER RIDELL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I work so hard and gives my 100% strength to my job.I wont waste my time go unto something wrong.I won't missed a chance that I do have my work cos a lot of people nowadays looking for a job .I'm so blessed that I have mine.But balancing your time to the right way like boding out with my family and friends keeps me grow enough and gives me a lot of source not just for my work but also to myself.

Have a great day

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  11. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally, thank god, have been taught by my parents in the past that a good work ethic is most of what you need to succeed in life. I can say I do agree quite a bit with them on this note. As JPM has said for himself, I've also worked in retail for a little while now. I always work as hard as possible because I do believe it will get you somewhere, and it will also keep you with a good reputation.

I believe having a good reputation means a lot of things. I would never want someone to mention me in a conversation and also refer to me as being a lazy piece of crap. I work hard and in return my fellow employees enjoy working with me because I make their shifts go by faster and create less work for everyone, creating more of a team-work atmosphere.

I've always been taught and believe that being a hard worker and having a good work ethic is what every person should have. So I try to apply it to myself as much as possible. Especially since it's not something you can just apply to others.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also known to give 110% in, once I am on a project. The thing is, I also have my side online business in addition to my day job. That makes my week a bit overloaded, and sometime weekends also, but working hard is not the worst way to spend your time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ranron

Ranron
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I push quite hard as well, can't help it. Hitting 16 hours shifts a day sometimes and overall I prefer being busy, it's a good feeling.

14. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I work pretty hard, at least I like to think so. Even though my job is online I need to find and speak to clients all day long.

15. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My work has become my hobby, some time I not sure I am work harder or I am work to entertain myself. I spent additional time for work research during weekend and public holiday, without blaming boss, without stress. I feel so great, work and task given by boss has become my good friend.

16. firefly

firefly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I need to work hard, doing what it takes to meet goals that I have set weekly.

So I work harder than hard.

17. SteffMartin

SteffMartin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can make a bet on this that if you are right here and you really did justice with your job then you must enjoy a successful career. Its a message for all those that work with honest and dedication goes never vain.

18. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will even skip dinner etc.. and put in 110% of effort just to completed the piece of the work for my client or school.

19. Princeoftart

Princeoftart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've not really stepped into the world of being an employee except for those part time jobs I did in the past... I think I don't work really hard, but my little bit of laziness will not get fired. I the kind of person that will get my job done on time at least...

I guess I'm at the acceptable line, not too hardworking nor lazy. How hard exactly do you need to work? I believe it depends. Depends on which level you wish to achieve. If you wanna get promoted, of course you should work as hard as you can, plus some creativity. Now that I hope having the responsibility to manage my blog won't affect my performance when I go out to work.

20. Ridwan_Sugi

Ridwan_Sugi
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like to work. when not doing anything, I actually become stressed.
    I believe if we want to succeed, we must work hard. "Smart hard work" , not "Stupid hard work".