how does the Forum business work

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by sajjad.axe, May 31, 2010.

1. sajjad.axe

sajjad.axe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

how does the Forum business work ??

i wanna know how a forum makes its revenue . i see many forums who dont have google ads also , so how actually they make the money ...

pls share valuable info

thx :)

2. Vekseid

Vekseid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you have a resource, you can sell advertising. When you have a community, you sell products.

That might come off as a bit facetious - but think of it this way - a forum gets two forms of traffic. Visitors who are basically looking for information, and members who are looking to belong.

You don't necessarily have a great deal of personal sway over the visitors, as a community owner, but you can target them with ads. Members, on the other hand, are often going to be more keen about supporting you directly (to the point where I was asked where the donation button was before I was forced to accept them), but are going to be desensitized to repetitive ads.

So, if you don't see ads, it might simply be because the owner is entirely supported by donations, is actually driving their own products, or, simply, they don't need or want to earn revenue from it.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Not all forums earn revenue. Some forum owners run their forums for their personal reasons or because they want to give back to the community. The three most common ways that forums earn money include;

1. Selling ad space on the site, including directory listings
    2. Selling premium membership, with more advanced features and / or permissions than free membership
    3. Selling related products and / or services from the forum.
    Some forum owners also run their forum in an effort to get their name known, within their niche and hence improve the business they get within that niche. They may not directly promote their business on the forum, but the reputation they build is good for their credibility and for their business.

Forums are difficult sites to make money from and I'd suggest that if your primary aim is to make money, you might want to consider other types of sites such as e-commerce sites, directories, blogs or content sites.

4. sajjad.axe

sajjad.axe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

oh

ohhhhhhh

so things have to be like digital point to make revenues from the forum ,

thx fergal for detailed explanation , one more thing i would like to ask ...........

does the script of the forums available like that of PTC sites :)