How does Google alerts work?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by bestbuys4busines, Jan 24, 2012.

1. bestbuys4busines

bestbuys4busines
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have setup various Google alerts that come into my gmail account, however, I have noticed they are not always new posts. Sometimes they are over 8 months old and there are no new replies (weird) which you would consider a trigger. Does anyone know why this happens? :rolleyes: Thanks Michelle

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Michelle I also use Google Alerts and they work very well for me. I haven't had any issues with the alerts showing up old posts. Not sure why that is happening to you, perhaps if you give it a little time the alert will have sent you all the old content and then start to only send you links to the new content.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bestbuys4busines

bestbuys4busines
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal, I thought that too but there is a mixture, sometimes the post with the same keywords is new and sometimes it is old. I guess it doesn't matter too much, just thought there may be a setting I should update. I have my alert settings at 'as it happens' which is why I thought it was weird. Thanks for the reply. Cheers Michelle

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not sure what going on with your setting since it works fine for me. What is the keyword you looking for?

5. MariaFrolova

MariaFrolova
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Shouldn't you ask google support team 1st?

• Like Like x 1
  6. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that depends on the keyword you used. If you have a keyword that has a seasonal or it's just a timely occurrence especially in the news then maybe that's why your alerts are that way.

7. Host.co.in

Host.co.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

+ 1 to this, Google support people are the best people to sort out this issue. Also please update here whatever experience you have with them and either the problem got solved or not. There should be someone to taste them also.

8. bestbuys4busines

bestbuys4busines
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I originally posted this question I was just hoping someone would tell me yeah that's normal.

I am using alerts for non-trend words such as 'business advice' and 'business ideas'; there are a lot of alerts coming through and a mixture of current and older posts. I will send through an update, if or when I get an answer from Google. Cheers

9. jamesmartin86

jamesmartin86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would also setup a comprehensive alert with "yourdomain.com".

Don't thing you can do something wrong with Google Alerts, it's too simply to use. Maybe your keywords are too general so that your posts are buried. Or your site is simply not crawled by Google. It also can take a while (days) to show up.

10. MariaFrolova

MariaFrolova
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A miscalculation took place

11. Mark.Sanchez

Mark.Sanchez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on the rankings as the keyword goes up google send you the url.

12. Mark.Sanchez

Mark.Sanchez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically google send those links to you, those are in the top rank either these come after two or six months or stay at the top ranking. I will suggest to subscribe the links where you think that quality content available for your information.

13. orsta

orsta
    uix_expand uix_collapse

when you set up alert try to use relevant keywords, you can preview search results on the right hand side, check Rezdy blog for more information about it

14. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Alerts tells you what your competitors are currently updating or linking to. Probably, those 8 months old alert that you are getting are more like being pinged by your competitor to make their previous backlinks still live.

Just a though anyway cause it is possible.

15. michal26

michal26
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on the rankings as the keyword goes up google send you the url.

16. angeliawilliams

angeliawilliams
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello bestbuys4busines, I think Google alert is the best service of google because you can get an alert of your competitors what they make. I used this service from last year I hadn't get an issue with it and I always get a new and recent alert on it.

17. rushordertees

rushordertees
    uix_expand uix_collapse

which are Google alerts?

18. pawee

pawee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google alerts sends you notification thru email whenever your competitor made a new press release, posted a new blog etc. It helps in monitoring a developing news about your competitor and/or the things you are interested in to.

Here, you may want to check this link out to know more of what google alerts can do for you

19. rushordertees

rushordertees
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for giving this information. but i want to know more about google alerts, i have follow the link that you send, but would you like to share it in short?