how does a forum get the first batch of users

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by petterxf, Jan 19, 2016.

1. petterxf

petterxf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

how does a forum get the first batch of users?

2. stevepalladous

stevepalladous
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I used to run a poker forum back in the day. At the time most poker chats were private so I put up a page with a bunch of copy on and a chat room (web IRC client so regulars could just use IRC not the web) and it ranked on the first page of Google. A bunch of us (2-5 depending on the time) camped in the chat and excitedly welcomed anyone new. Eventually that grew enough and people started using the forums to post hands, their questions etc as well as hanging in the chat.

It's not easy though to completely start from scratch unless you know how you're going to get people over (for me it was training videos and using traffic leaking from popular tube sites and the chat room) in the first place to find your forum, and find the discussions people are having. You definitely need some kind of initial 'seed' group that gets things going, otherwise there's nothing for new members to engage with.

FWIW... Reddit cheated and just faked the whole first bit... you can read about it on Venture Beat, it's an interesting story venturebeat.com/2012/06/22/reddit-fake-users/

3. geeksonrepair

geeksonrepair
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For this you need to post quality questions over there.If you have great social media network then share your forums with that social accounts and invite people on your forums.After you get batch of users then share and post quality threads to increase members of your forums.