How do you use Social Media?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by JPM, Aug 4, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am in the process of setting up a business based around social media services and would love some info' from small business owners on BAF.
    • Do you use Facebook or Twitter?
    • Do you use more than just Facebook and Twitter? If so, give details.
    • Do you use Social Bookmarking Sites to promote your site? Please give details.
    • Has your business used QR or NFC codes and technology?
    • Does your business have a blog?
    • Does your business use RSS feeds?

• Have you used social media to gain feedback or do research with your clients/customers?
    • Does your business have a dedicated social media assistant/member of staff?
    • If you had more time, would you do more with social media?
    • If you were to outsource this responsibility to another individual/company - what do you believe would represent value for money?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I use Twitter, FaceBook and LinkedIn.

Twitter, mostly to promote my sites and to a lesser extent to find other interesting sites and resources. I also help out when I can, by retweeting and linking to stuff that I feel would be useful to others.

FaceBook - I have a personal account which I only use to connect with people that I know in the real world. Also I use the Business Advice Forum fan page to stay connected with our members and to post some forum updates.

LinkedIn - I have a personal account that I use for business networking connections.

Not really, I use Digg a little bit, but I'm actually not that familiar with social bookmarking sites or their promotional benefits.

No, at least not yet.

Forum Promotion has a blog, but it is not that popular with our members so we are looking at other options.

My forums have feeds built in, however I don't really use or promote them.

Yes I've sometimes asked questions on Twitter and had some helpful replies and suggestions back.

It's just me at the moment.

If I had more time I would probably focus on improving my technical skills rather than spending the time on social media. However, if I had a huge amount of time I would pick one of the social media I already use and push that as far as I could to see how useful it would be for helping to promote Business Advice Forum.

My primary concern would be that it could create quality traffic, activity and member loyalty for BAF. I would happily pay for a service if I was confident that it could do that for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks very much Fergal for your honest and direct reply, much appreciated.

Everyone else - I appreciate there are a lot of questions so if it's too time consuming, feel free to answer a few instead of all.

4. Winflo Finan

Winflo Finan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

* Do you use Facebook or Twitter?

I use Twitter maninly as it is a good way to keep up to date and build a following. Facebook is more for personal use than business. Though we have a Facebook group, it's tough to get it going

* Do you use more than just Facebook and Twitter? If so, give details.

I use Linkedin too. But it's manily Twitter.

* Do you use Social Bookmarking Sites to promote your site? Please give details.

Not really. I am yet to see how social bookmarking will help. Maybe when the business has grown a little it can be used more efficiantly.

* Has your business used QR or NFC codes and technology?

I don't think so. I haven't but other members of the company may have.

* Does your business have a blog?

Yes. http://www.winflowfinancial.com/category/business-blog/

* Does your business use RSS feeds?

Not yet, but we plan to.

* Have you used social media to gain feedback or do research with your clients/customers?

Not yet, but sometimes you get feedback without actively searching for it.

* Does your business have a dedicated social media assistant/member of staff?

I am the only member of the SEO 'team' and I run the blog and the social media aspects of the business.

* If you had more time, would you do more with social media?

I would possibly try to use Twitter more and interact with people. Interaction is tough at the small business stage, but aslong as you move int he right direction it will be easier.

* If you were to outsource this responsibility to another individual/company - what do you believe would represent value for money?

Maybe using an unpaid intern could help :p

• Like Like x 2
  5. hostgrant

hostgrant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have a website or an online business that you want to promote. You need traffic, and you need search engine rankings. Where do you start? Well, right now all of the experts are raving about Social Media – and how you can use these services to get “tons of inbound links” and an “avalanche of website traffic

• Like Like x 1
  6. DaveCain

DaveCain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am in the process of setting up a business based around social media services and would love some info' from small business owners on BAF.

•Do you use Facebook or Twitter?
    - Twitter

•Do you use more than just Facebook and Twitter? If so, give details.
    - I've started to use Google+ more

•Do you use Social Bookmarking Sites to promote your site? Please give details.
    - Yes, just the standard ones

•Has your business used QR or NFC codes and technology?
    - No

•Does your business have a blog?
    - Yes

•Does your business use RSS feeds?
    - Yes

•Have you used social media to gain feedback or do research with your clients/customers?
    - Yes

•Does your business have a dedicated social media assistant/member of staff?
    - Yes, me.

•If you had more time, would you do more with social media?
    - No

•If you were to outsource this responsibility to another individual/company - what do you believe would represent value for money?
    - Personally I wouldn't outsource but I can see the advantages for a business with no experience or time

• Like Like x 2
    #6 DaveCain, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  7. Businessbinocular

Businessbinocular
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Questionnaire!

[*]Do you use Facebook or Twitter?

Yes, both. Facebook a lot more than Twitter.

[*]Do you use more than just Facebook and Twitter? If so, give details.

LinkedIn

[*]Do you use Social Bookmarking Sites to promote your site? Please give details.

Yes, Blokube

[*]Does your business have a blog?

Yes, it is called Business Binocular. You could google it if you like. The blog also talks about social media marketing and gives several tips and suggestions. You can visit it and post your comments and questions.

[*]Does your business use RSS feeds?
    Yes.

[*]Does your business have a dedicated social media assistant/member of staff?
    Yes. That would be me! :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have both personal and business pages on Facebook. Trying to do more on the business pages and less on the personal. Twitter is starting to come around although I find there are a lot of self promoters there who only care about just that (not true 2-way connections). LinkedIn is still a mystery. I have a lot of connections, but there's not much interaction. The groups on LinkedIn have been disappointments so far as most seem to contain again, self promoters who have no interest in anybody else. But I do see some traffic from there according to my Google Analytics.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jennaentrust

jennaentrust
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should use as many outlets as possible. Facebook, twitter, google, everything!

• Like Like x 1
  10. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use Facebook and Twitter,Using social media is also an advantage for you especially when your trying to come up with business.It can help you in many ways such as promotion, advertising and many more.

• Like Like x 1