How do you store your passwords?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Nazreen, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nowadays, we usually use a userid and password for everything we do in our computer. There's a power-on password (if you've set this on) for your computer, windows logon, email account, Paypal and other payment processor accounts, bank PIN number, merchant number, and many more.

I've been thinking the other day that what if something happened to me like be involved in an accident and lying down comatose in a hospital bed, how would my loved ones access my Paypal account or contact friends and colleagues from my email? This is even more important for those who are running an online business because in times of emergency, your online business should still be able to continue.

So in case something happens to you, how do you store your userid and passwords? Do you note it down in a notebook that you keep in a safe or store them on your cellphones?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I keep my passwords in a notebook at work. I've also let one of my trusted colleagues know where my passwords are so that they can be accessed if I get hit by a bus.

Nobody knows my personal passwords such as my details to get into my online bank or PayPal. Perhaps I need to rectify that.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that a notebook is still the best way of keeping a record of userids and passwords. Just make sure that it is not left lying around in the open where anybody can see. If possible, store it in a safe.

I've already begun listing all these important information in a notebook. All that's left is to buy a fire-proof safe. :) This is all because I suddenly felt like I was going to be hit by a car while crossing the street a couple of days back.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It is good to be prepared for these things. However, I'm sure that if anything did happen to you Nazreen, God forbid, your PayPal password would be the least of everyone's worries.

Personally I do need to keep better track of my passwords. I have to admit that sometimes I change my online passwords, when they expire, and don't take a note of the new one. It's no fun trying to figure out a password that you can't remember.

5. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally write all my important passwords into a note pad file and hide it with hiding software.

6. sulewel

sulewel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I stored all my important password in excel sheet. Once I forgot the password, then i can get them immediately from the sheet. I have previously forgot the login password of my computer, and took me an hour to reset the password with UUKeys Windows Password Recovery. From that time on, I put every important password in that sheet.

#6 sulewel, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  7. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am personally not very good in managing my passwords and I usually store them all in my mind and sometimes I forget one so I need to get it recovered.

8. VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good question. A couple years ago I was trying to keep them in mind, but nowadays when the computer remembers all of them and I don't write them very often, I store them in an Excel worksheet. So if I forget one of them I'll have an easy way to retrieve it.

9. Rob Schneider

Rob Schneider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is really an interesting thought , i am planning on saving all my passwords and accounts required information on my email address's draft section and i will note down the password for that email account on a notebook.