How do you set goals and manage to complete them?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by TrottersGoals, Jan 6, 2011.

1. TrottersGoals

TrottersGoals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All, Happy New Year 2011!!

I am new to this forum and I have made a New Year’s resolution:

To make life changing goals, stick with them and work towards completing my goals however big or small the goal is but a part of me just says what if they go horribly wrong I am the one who is going to suffer but saying that I could suffer anyway if I do not do anything about my goals in general. So how can I go about setting myself some goals and manage to work towards them?

I ask this as my life is going stale and I am fed up of being a student. I saw a Life Coach for a month but had to give that up because I was and am not able to make life changing goals for myself but saying that she just said go out and do what you need to do but what’s the point if I cannot!! and the reason why I saw her was to get some motivation and get help with goal setting but she did not seem that interested. I don’t know!

Kind Regards,

TrottersGoals

2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I try to make realistic goals that are easily obtainable ;)

3. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Upon obtaining a goal match it with motivation. if you have no motivation to your self no goals will be attained. :)

4. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not over estimate my self become sincere with my realities than judge my self what I am able to do and what i am not than make my goals and I can proudly say I have achieved many self settled goals

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum TrottersGoals, I certainly hope that we can help you with your goals.

In my opinion the achievement of goals is a habit, which is a good thing, because it means that you are capable of creating and building on the habit. My suggestion would be to set yourself a single attainable short term goal. This is something that you would have a positive impact in your life, albeit a small benefit, and that you work towards achieving in the next week or month. Once you have achieved this goal, set yourself a slightly more challenging goal and keep repeating the process. This gets you into the habit of achieving your goals and achieving goals will become part of the type of person you are.

Do you think this kind of approach could work for you?

Do you have any ideas as to what you could set as your first short term goal?

6. OnlineHelper

OnlineHelper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey there!

Last month I went to Tony Robbins (if you don't know who he is Google him, he's awesome) 4 day Unleash The Power Within seminar and it was phenomenal! We did a lot of crazy but effective exercises to help us take immediate action towards our goals.

One of the things that I learned was that people often fail and give up on their goals because they don't associate enough pain with the idea of failing at them. I'll try to explain this a little bit better. People tend to use "softeners" to deal with things they don't like. For example a person who is overweight may call themselves chubby or curvy or big boned, or every other lame label they can give themselves instead of admitting the truth to themselves. Which is going to be more painful to hear but more likely to get you to actually follow through and make a change...My pants are getting tight, I really should try to lose a few pounds, I'm getting some love handles, I'll start my new diet tomorrow...OR...Wow I'm a freaking fat a** if I don't make a change now, I am on my way to becoming the size of a cow. I know it's not easy to tell yourself those things but they will be more likely to get you to do something about the things that you don't like. If that doesn't work make a list of what the consequences will be if you don't make a change and really try to envision and feel those things as if they were happening right now. Again continuing with the fat example, make a list of things that will happen if you don't change...but really make it painful. Put things down like if I don't change "I'll have to ride around on a motorized cart everywhere" or imagine what it would be like getting wheeled into bypass surgery. The point is to get yourself to see and feel the consequences of not following through on your goals right now.

This approach can be applied to any area that you want to improve on.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum OnlineHelper, that's a great first post. How have you benefited from what you learned at the Tony Robbins' seminar? Would you recommend his seminars to other people?

8. OnlineHelper

OnlineHelper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

I would most definitely recommend his seminars to anyone who is serious about making changes in their life. The reason why I say they need to be serious about it, is because at this event you really are pushed outside of your comfort zone and are challenged to identify what your goals are and learn how to get leverage over your fears that are stopping you from achieving them. Throughout the 16 hours days I experienced so many different emotions from laughing so hysterically that I cried, to literally facing fears and feeling the pain
    of not pushing myself to do certain things...that I just plain hysterically cried.

Here's a short list of some of the things that I got out of going to see Tony. I could go on and on about what an awesome time I had, but for now here is a little list of a few of the things that I got myself to do because of this seminar.

- I learned about how the motivation behind anything that we do is driven by trying to gain pleasure or avoid pain and that most people will settle for avoiding pain rather than pushing themselves to take action to do the things that will give them pleasure. As a result we were forced to look at the "stories" we come up with in our head for why we can't do something (i.e. not having enough time, money, not good looking enough, not educated, ect) we then learned how to "shut off" these stories and take action. As a result when my husband and I got back home from the event, we were super motivated and had this idea to create a "business ideas" book that could serve as a guide to others who were looking for ideas and how to implement them to get started in online business. But the challenging part was we wanted it to be done and ready to be sold in time by the first week of December so it would be available during the holiday season (and by the time we got back from the event it was already Nov. 8'th) Despite that we pulled together, teamed up with 10 other bloggers from around the world and produced the Internet Business Ideas Book in less than 3 weeks.

-We also were challenged to go on a 30 day cleanse, where we couldn't eat/drink any acidic foods such as meat, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, white breads, ect. Sounds rough I know but it really wasn't that bad (the hardest part was that the 30 days ran through Thanksgiving, which meant no turkey and gravy for us). The first three days of the seminar was getting control of ourselves, getting rid of negative beliefs, and defining our goals...Day 4 was all about health and Vital Energy, because without feeling good and having lots of energy it is hard to put into practice everything that is learned on days 1-3 of the event.

-Finally one of the most outrageous and empowering things that we did on Day 1 was a fire walk where you walk across a bed of 1200 degree hot coals. Yes we did it and no we did not get burned. The point of this isn't so much to be a bad a** and say "I walked on hot coals" but instead it's about a metaphor to apply to life...it's about getting yourself to take the first step despite fear.

So again to answer your questions YES I would recommend this to everyone. At the very least check out one of his books and read it and see what Tony Robbins is about!

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for all of that OnlineHelper, sounds like you really benefited from the seminar and I'm delighted to hear about your success in launching the book - that really is a great achievement.

I'll keep my ears open for one of his seminars in Ireland and definitely try to get to one in the future.

Thanks again and I wish you continued success.

10. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lol. i signed up for a free online conference tomorrow hosted by forbes.com with some investment company i forgot. its FREE. will post comments

11. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How to fight laziness, which is the biggest problem in achieving goals. I think the question should be how to motivate yourself to achieve the goal

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The way I fight laziness is by asking myself what kind of person I want to be. Do I want to be a lazy person who does not achieve anything? The answer is "no" so when I feel like acting in a lazy way I ask myself the question and the answer motivates me to take action and move forward.

13. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

and one can be the possible way when certain type of pessimism is taking our you, I mean you know that you can do well but you do not have the resources or at some crucial time your some resource becomes useless and you start thinking that I can never do that and loose all of your hopes how do you fight with such situations

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We've all heard stories of people who achieved great success in the face of what appeared like impossible circumstances. Our success has a lot more to do with our actions and our thoughts than our circumstances.

15. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me it really helps to write things down. The process of writing down your goals forces you to achieve a level of clarity about them that you simply cannot achieve without writing them down. I think that this is the real reason why you hear about the 97%/3% rule. The 3% of people who actually take the time to write down their goals are the ones who acheive them. The other 97% never write them down and fail to ever achieve them.

Clarity is the key. Do whatever you must to become absolutely clear about your goals. Write them down until you are totally out of ideas. Once you have achieved clarity, the path to take you from where you are now to where you want to be will suddenly reveal itself. You have to truly decide what you intend to become, not just wish about it and dream about it. You must decide. Once you truly decide, the veil will be lifted and all of the possibility in life that awaits you will become so abundantly clear that you will wonder how you could have possibly overlooked it all these years.

The world is your blank canvas. You are the painter. Will you pick up the paintbursh and paint your Picasso? Or, will you just sit and stare at the canvas hoping something great will materialize? Both paths in life are real possibilities. You just have to decide which one you want.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with you in relation to the importance of that decision jsingerston. Once we make a decision like that it gives us a sense of urgency, determination and purpose that drives us forward to our goal. When we are in that mode we are prepared to stretch ourselves further and do things that we would not normally do, in order to achieve our goal. It's a feeling of "enough is enough, I'm going to do this now" and we all recognise it when we have it.

17. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is actually success... is it just something which is only concerned with your bank balance and status in the society?

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Success is different things to different people. For some it is a big bank balance, for others it is getting a job, completing a part time course or reading a book. Everyone is different and we should set our own goals based on what we really want and what inspires us personally, rather than on how we believe other people view success.

19. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will try to make goals which is within my range of completion.
    I will always try to motivate myself in anyway to help me complete the goal i set.
    Such as, certain word can motivate me to do things better than before.

20. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But human is human he will surely loose hope at some stage and you need to fight with such feelings of pessimism so you can keep going.