How do you prioritize your goals?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, May 15, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How do you prioritize your goals and decide which ones you will work on first? For example, do you prioritize your goals by;

Category - e.g. financial, family, business, health, personal development, etc
    Importance - how important they are to your future
    Ease of achievement - e.g work on the goal that's easiest to achieve first
    Preference - the goal that you would enjoy working on most

Any ideas?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, I go with Preference. It's good to work on soming your really enjoy first so that you can build up the excitement as you move to a different type of work. But sometimes, I go with Ease of achievement. An easy job can be finished as fast as I can.

3. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First, I would prioritize my category, it is more than important because you couldn't work on without that, the second thing will be preference, How can you achieve your goals if you don't enjoy your work? Working on your goals that you can't enjoy might be affected your focus and determination. Third will be Ease of achievement This is the hardest part, needs a time to think what work would you do first so that you can finish/achieve your goal the fastest way and the fourth will be Importance.

4. domminic59

domminic59
    uix_expand uix_collapse

below are the fice steps:
    ----------------------------------
    1. Step 1
    Whether you have set goals or not, it's not too late to get moving on them. Ask yourself, what things are most important for you to do this year? Apply to graduate school, lose weight, reconnect with loved ones, find a new job, learn belly dancing?

Whatever it is you think you want to do, write it down, cut out pictures and put it on a board, or put it to a catchy tune. You'll then go back and prioritize your list to the top ten things you want to accomplish in 2010 or beyond.
    2. Step 2
    The next step takes a bit more time, but is critical to actually working on these goals past the first couple of months of the year and not giving up when you don't see immediate results. You have to develop a realistic timeline. Remember SMART goals? That "R" stands for Realistic.

On your list write down how long it would realistically take you to complete each goal. If you are going back to school your goal might be to start your graduate program, rather than graduate from your graduate program. That is a longer term goal that typically takes at least two to three years, but you can still begin this year.
    3. Step 3
    Create a chart with Goals, Goal Start Dates, Milestones, and Goal End Dates. You may download worksheets at www.workforwonder.com or bernettesherman.com.
    4. Step 4
    After completing your chart, reorder the goals by start date and finish date. If two or more goals start at the same time, order them by the earliest finish date. Try not to stack too many goals to start or end at the same time, otherwise you will feel overwhelmed trying to do everything at once, and nothing will actually get done.
    5. Step 5
    Once you have your ten goals down figure out the steps to take to reach them. You might commit a certain amount of time and effort each week to your job hunt. Write the steps for each goal on the individual goal sheet available through workforwonder.com or bernettesherman.com. This will help you organize your steps and more easily visualize your tasks.
    -
    :)

Source

#4 domminic59, May 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  5. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all, your goals have to be achievable within a reasonable time-frame which also means not having to break your neck in order to get to where you want to.

It is also important to calculate that your efforts will actually lead to some financial rewards and as soon as you realise that you are at a dead end you must change course rapidly.

I strongly believe that it is important to diversify and not put all of your eggs into one basket but at the same time it is crucial that you don't become a jack of all trades and a master of none.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll be spending some time writing and prioritising my goals next week and you ideas will help with that.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

7. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would consider 'importance' as the primary criteria.a task which is more important but it is difficult,i would give preference to it than to the task which i really enjoy and do easily.

8. matthew0099

matthew0099
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i ll go with IMPORTANCE,,, means how it ll impact in my future..........

9. OneLife

OneLife
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was all ready to get wriled up again about the whole 'realistic' debate (I wrote about limiting beliefs here), but you guys hit the nail right on the head. Instead of a 'realistic' goal you talk about a 'realistic time frame'. Much more sensible.

As for prioritizing, this is a tough one. Personally I try to interlace my goals as much as possible, but this is not always practical. If I was to pick one it would be 'Importance'. There are some goals I have which are frivolous but are things I have always wanted to do. Most of these involve traveling to places I have not been. It is amazing how many of these goals I achieve just by pursuing other goals. For example, always wanted to go to Auckland, New Zealand... went there last weekend because of business.... odd how it works out...

10. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Category - e.g. financial, family, business, health, personal development, etc
    Importance - how important they are to your future
    Ease of achievement - e.g work on the goal that's easiest to achieve first
    Preference - the goal that you would enjoy working on most

I think Preference is important.Maybe u have many goals u wanna reach.But u should be clear about which one is ur preference.Then work on it step by step.These 4 points r so helpful,I'll keep them in mind.Hope we all can reach our goals.