How do you Network with Others

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Partner4LIfe, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Partner4LIfe

Partner4LIfe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have always been a hard-worker that haven't really had the time to network much. I am beginning to realize that I need to network more. But find it very difficult to network professional. Any advice on how one can start networking with others. While I read that people should join association, how does one specifically became involved in meeting others. It seems really difficult for me to connect with people. Any advice would be helpful.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Partner4LIfe I'd suggest that you join business associations in your area. Perhaps there are organisations such as your local Chamber of Commerce or Business Networking International (BNI) near you that you could participate in and meet other business owners.

3. rangrage

rangrage
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have personally made many new contacts through facebook. I join groups and fan pages which share an interest in my industry and start interacting with the members of these groups. I have made business connections in many parts of the world who I ask for help when I need advice etc... Also another great platform for business networks is Linkedin, but I must be honest I have not been as active on Linkedin, no specific reason, just that I feel more comfortable with Facebook, hehehe... But I have made a point to now get active on Linkedin.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Partner4LIfe

Partner4LIfe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all of your comments. That being said, how exactly do you network on facebook. You say that I should comment and share interest in facebook. How does that alone connect you closer to people?

Also, if you attend meeting with other business owner at the Chamber of Commerce, isn't it a bit awkward to meet new people by yourself. It seems everyone has their own click. How does one fit in at these business meetings.

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also starting to network with others. And what I actually do is join an association that meets every 3rd Sunday on the month. :D

6. Partner4LIfe

Partner4LIfe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you first joined, was it solo. And if so, was it easy for you to connect with other new members.

7. Partner4LIfe

Partner4LIfe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Any great business association that one can join in southern California for one that is a CPA and real estate broker and planning on being a lawyer in the near future.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I first met one of their members, he was asking why I wasn't a member on their association, I just didn't reply. But this is because they're actually my competitor. But ask yourself "whats in it for you?" And if it does make sense to join, go! I joined because I think I can be of great help to them and so are they to me.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've been in that situation and can relate to you concerns. However, most business associations are very welcoming to new members and those members will have been new members themselves at one time. These organisations understand that they need new members in order to survive and thrive so meeting and getting to know new people at them is not as difficult as you might think.

A lot of networking events are based around a meal such as a breakfast or dinner. Hence, you will generally find yourself at a table with other people, who have similar interests and who are generally friendly and welcoming.

I'd suggest going to at least one local event, it may feel a little awkward, but at the end of the day you don't have much to lose by going and you'd never know who you might meet.

10. rangrage

rangrage
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well In my case I provide internet marketing services to local businesses. What I do to network with people on Facebook is that I would find fan pages and groups on Facebook which are for web designers, marketers, web application developers, server administrators and so on... I certainly do not have the skills in every one of those fields but I need to provide these services to my clients, so I get involved in the discussions within these groups and pages, I ask questions and also provide my opinion where possible. Many of the members of these groups then become friends with me on Facebook, once you have a friendship with people in your industry you can share ideas and even outsource certain jobs to each other.

As we speak, I currently have a friend who I made from a facebook group who is redesigning an entire website for me; for free... well its not really for free actually, a few weeks ago I helped him with a task that he was struggling with and he decided to return the favour, this now saves me time and money and I have the opportunity to make many friends like this through facebook.

So I suggest that you find groups and pages in your industry and start building relationships with the members in those groups.

Hope that helps you :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi P4L,

The following is a useful web resource for networking events: FindNetworkingEvents.com

I have been to quite a few and their effectiveness seems to come down to the type of business you are in. I think it is also important to note that people tend to go to these events to sell rather than buy, so it can sometimes feel a bit fruitless. I am a fan of the BNI network - Business Network International - it is a mutual referral organisation, which requires a lot of commitment but can work exceptionally well if you get the right group.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes and happy networking.

M.

12. JaneAndrew

JaneAndrew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LinkdIn really is the contemporary approach to creating and expanding your network!

13. matthewgayle

matthewgayle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can connect the people through social networking sites Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Join any group, community