How do you make a new website to be the next greatest internet newspaper?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by DollarMirrordotcomGuy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is what I've been thinking the whole week. I have recently purchased a domain and paid for a webhosting service to get my dream news site online. Yes, at last I am now the owner of TheTimesofAsia.com! The Times of Asia is a news portal that will provide breaking news from Asia and the world. But aside from the news which obviously will be overtaken by other larger and older news sites, what will distinguish The Times of Asia is its opinions and commentaries which will be written by our intelligent editors and columnists. My inspiration on building this website is the former opinion blog turned widely-syndicated internet newspaper, HuffingtonPost.com which is owned by Arianna Huffington. A year after her blog gained fame, several companies invested on the Huffington Post enabling their editorial staff and network to expand more and their sales boosted. That is exactly what I want to achieved with TheTimesofAsia.com.

The question is, will I make it? Can I manage a growing internet publication? I am only 24 years old and has limited knowledge in running a company. But I'd like it this way. I want to attain that status where people can call me a CEO or a boss of my own company which I've patiently built through hard work and dedication. After all, I have a university degree and am still learning right now. I'll never stop learning and with The Times of Asia, I know I will learn more.

I am now working hard to encourage aspiring new writers to join me by contributing articles to TheTimesofAsia.com. So far, I've received several applications and I think the response is great, very positive. I have applicants from India, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, China, United States and the UK. Thanks to those who expressed their interest to join. You will receive a response from me within 24-48 hours and some of you may have already received it.

Since I cannot afford to pay my writers now, the only thing I can guarantee them is their status as pioneer editors of this publication once it becomes famous and once its articles are being syndicated by larger newspapers and advertisement offers are pouring in. That will happen and The Times of Asia will succeed. That's what I believe. That's what I always tell myself. That I can do it, I can make it. So help me God.

#1 DollarMirrordotcomGuy, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why not, being young is an advantage in this industry. The Google guys started before they even left college. Your words could be used to describe Mark Zuckerberg, founder of FaceBook, voted one of the world's most influential people and one of the world's youngest billionaires.

Your determination and willingness to continue learning will carry you a long way. You are also going in the right direction, by integrating such a strong community involvement into your site. From what I've seen so far you have the potential to carry this project a long way.

Please keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you have any further questions that you feel we can assist with.

Have you set yourself some challenging milestones for this project?

3. kimw1

kimw1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello.

Thank you for sharing your information.
    This is very nice post.

i also want to know about this topic??

4. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Fergal, you're right. I am determined to make it work and I can imagine that many people will also benefit once this website boomed. I am busy working hard to achieve my goal right now. I realized it isnt easy to start up a business but I strongly feel that I can succeed in this field. Yes, I can see success in this website as well. Mark Zuckerberg is one of my inspirations too. And I always tell myself that Mark can do it, I can definitely do it too. I will have a meeting with some of my staff later this week to prepare some paperworks and we'll also talk about the business plan. I hope I have you guys to back me up on this. Thanks for all your support.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you considered ways of getting people talking about your blog online, to help word about it spread virally?

6. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a very nice suggestion. I haven't thought of that. Perhaps I can make a contest or something like that? Any idea?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A contest is a good idea, especially if you can get other bloggers, blogging about your contest.

Can you think of anything else that would get people talking about your blog? Perhaps some controversial posts?

8. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have thought of a controversial post before but I think if you're gonna make something controversial, you need to have basis on it so you can stand your grounds in case any dispute occurs. And since we are a news company, we intend to do in-depth investigations of some influential people, gather supporting facts and documents, interviews and create a bomb that will make other news companies begging for syndication of our contents.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you consulted a lawyer to go through the legal aspects of your business?

Have you put any plans in place for local, offline promotion?

10. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, we have already consulted a lawyer but we have yet to discuss the agenda further on our meeting this weekend at The Mall of Asia. My accountant and CPA lawyer will also be there to handle the financial side. We have not formulated any plans for local/offline promotions yet but I plan to open it up during the meeting.

I think it is easier to move around and do this and do that once I have found an angel investor who is also willing to be a co-founder and help with the development of the business. It is really hard for me to do it all alone right now so I hope investors will show up once the business plan is ready. That would be on Monday, June 22.

#10 DollarMirrordotcomGuy, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When talking to your lawyer you should discuss any available methods to protect your publication against the risk of future legal action for defamation. Basically, if someone doesn't like something you publish about them they may take a court action against your blog and it would be great if you could do anything to limit the potential damage from such an action, right from the start.

12. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your advice, Fergal. I'll see to it that things like this will be discussed so that we are prepared no matter what. But above all things, the most effective way to avoid such legal issues and risks would be to moderate our articles and examine them thoroughly before we publish them to ensure that we uphold responsible journalism at all times. These people, even the most corrupt of politicians or those who engage in illegal businesses around the world, have rights so we will make sure that we adhere to journalism laws while trying to expose the results of our investigation for example.

13. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all, just an update. I've called in Reuters and the Associated Press and inquired regarding their rates on article syndication. Since they have larger coverage and every news network is getting feeds from them, we might apply for membership as well in order to reprint some of their materials which are impossible for us to cover particularly world breaking news and headlines.

I've received a call early this afternoon from Reuters and they were glad to assist us in the process. I'll keep you updated for more development.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An arrangement with Reuters would give you a lot of credibility, in addition to the benefit of expanding the range of content on your site.

Well done and good luck with it.

15. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's correct Fergal. That's why we are currently coordinating with them and the Associated Press to assist us on the process of syndication. And since there is no other way to know the prevailing rates on article and news reports syndication (most news group keep it confidential as much as possible(, the only way to know and to learn about how their system works is to participate and coordinate with them. Once we know how the process works, we might offer our own syndication services so that others too can benefit from our contents.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You might ask Reuters if you can include their logo on your site, perhaps under a "Partners" heading. That would give you even more credibility.

17. allwinners

allwinners
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a footnote to the concept of syndication from larger organisations, particularly regarding "World Breaking News" - would this not render the position of "localised Authors" redundant? If I am to take up a position with the site, presenting articles and news from my country, and it is cheaper or more efficient for the site to gain the same (but syndicated) story from the big boys, where does this leave me?

18. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@allwinners Definitely that is not going to happen with our local writers. Our main goal here is to have our own in-house writers so that we can create teams that will supply us with the content that we need. Although it would be nice to syndicate articles from larger news networks, personally I still prefer to build my own group of writers and produce a totally unique version of what's happening in the world. Our mission is to be the one of the most syndicated news sites in the Asia-Pacific region. Besides, I was given access to the Reuters' demo site where members can browse their latest news for republishing purposes and I was disappointed to find out that their news are so general. They do not maintain local news such as those happening in small cities and towns.

One of the reasons why we have coordinated with Reuters and Associated Press is because right now, we do not have any foreign correspondent yet. We are officially launching the website on Monday and so far we only have three international writers who confirmed their applications. We need foreign news since we're targeting Asia and since we are an English-language site, we need more native English speaking writers who will give the group with that natural english vibe. And that's what will set us apart from the rest. I'm telling you, we need more local writers, we need you and we need more content so rest assured there will be no redundancy even in the next five years.

#18 DollarMirrordotcomGuy, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good question, but even major publishers and national newspapers use some syndicated content. This syndicated content complements their quality original content rather than replacing it. Publications need original content from quality writers / journalists if they are to survive.

20. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's correct Fergal. I've also heard of give-and-take syndication agreement from some major news network wherein, instead of paying each other money for the content they syndicate, they agree to exchange each other's unique contents. This concept works especially if the other one is more capable of producing/gathering news from their area than the other. Thus, if we were to produce unique content from let's say, Australia, there's a chance other networks will talk to us for syndication rather than sending their own correspondent to Australia.