How do you know when you are burned out?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Robert20, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Robert20

Robert20
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I am burned out, and that's pretty bad, because my business is still profitable and can grow. How do you know when you are burned out, and it's time to change career? Here are my symptoms:

a) For the first time I truly feel bored with it.
    b) I no longer care whether or not I close a deal. I still have a little interest in closing large accounts but not very motivated to close the rest.
    c) I really really want to change career. I don't really know what happend but I have become really unhappy.

I think I may have just answered my own question, but please feel free to share your thoughts. As far as my plan goes, I am going to take a few days off, and force myself to persist until I have transitioned into a new career. You think that's a good plan?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree Robert20, it does sound like you need a holiday. Try to get a few days away to do something you really enjoy. You should feel better after that and being away from work should give your some perspective on your situation.

3. smith360

smith360
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Let's just face it, we are all overworked and underpaid...

4. bulkybo

bulkybo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Robert20, when you say that you want to change career, is it because you have found something else that you would like to do or you would just do anything to get away from your current job ?

5. Blake123

Blake123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's why I try to change my activity every two years.
    It always happens that I simply get bored with something,
    new ideas stop coming, and then the best decision is to start something different

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How drastic are the changes you make Blake? Do you completely change business / career, or do you just make some changes within your area of expertise?

7. kylie2011

kylie2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I start losing interest in my work, I take a day off or some, and go somewhere to unwind and relax and change the picture a bit. It usually helps for some time and then again a day off

8. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You must take a rest for few days to release stress, just give yourself a time to relax.

9. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Robert20, nothing wrong with that, it is human nature I guess. There is a sort of entrepreneur that buys a company, develops it, and then sells it for a profit. I think that is more suitable for you.
    Good Luck!

10. Bwendo

Bwendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are some pretty clear indicators - for me it is always being tired and doing stupid high risk behaviors like drinking and gambling. Oftentimes it is just best for me to go and have a long afternoon nap and drink plenty of water.
    Oh, and lay off the booze for a few days and walk in the morning.

11. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you have to determine whether you are burned out from the field or job you are in or if it's a result of your work and/or lifestyle. There is a difference. You don't want to necessarily change fields or jobs only to burn out again later because it's been the end result of your lifestyle. So take some time off to think about the possible causes of your burn out and then make a feasible plan of action.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like you said, I think you answered your own question with much detail. While you're on a break, clear your head and evaluate what you're trying to get out of your business.