How do you get your link building organised?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Tedel, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

This question is mainly for those of you who work on SEO. You need links, and that's a no-brainer. However, there are too many ways to get links out there, and you need to keep some order not to get lost in confusion. How do you get your link-building organised?

- lists?
    - a database?

I'm opening this thread to do some brainstorming about it. Let's see how it goes. :)

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

A calendar and Microsoft Excel(or a similar program) can help you schedule your link building efforts, by putting all the necessary tasks in one place. Be careful, though, not to do your tasks on the same day every month, because getting links on the same days will make your efforts look fake(which, lets face it, they are, but even those who use accepted techniques don't want it to look obvious).

3. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even I follow the same method to store my links. it gives clear idea on active, non-active, nofollow, dofollow, page rank etc., clearly.

We have to use Google webmaster tools to check our back links.

4. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the fake part... lol... Is there not any better alternative than using a spreadsheet?

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As bwillsmith said, a spreadsheet helps to organize all the relevant information, so I don't know of any reason why you would not want to use one. What is it about spreadsheets that causes you to want to find an alternative?

6. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because spreadsheets are just plain text sheets. I was looking maybe for something more dynamic. For example:

Client A wants links from tourism.
    Client B wants links from USA.
    Client C wants links from Mexico.

How many spreadsheets would I need to organize to satisfy the needs of different clients and link-building requirements?

What is working for you to organize the link-building of many projects? Ok, how many spreadsheets do you manage and under which criteria you organize them?

It will be a huge amount of information, so tips will be really thanked.

7. Christina Maria

Christina Maria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Used to use excel when I bought loads. Now just have a note for each website in Ever note and list them. Make links individually only now so it is fairly easy to find things.

8. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Why not use Twitter list?

Use it as private, add descriptions, share if necessary.
    Create lists of people you’ve obtained a link from
    People you want a link from
    People you are currently working with
    People you may want to work with

Each list can keep your contacts organized, in front of you, and help make sure you don’t forget who it is you should be paying attention to.

9. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds like a plan, but I do not use Twitter (no offence, but I think it is a waste of time —not to mention I find the 140 character limit extremely annoying).

10. stevepalladous

stevepalladous
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

At my agency we use Buzzstream.com

It allows you to research target sites in the browser, and tag them for outreach. For example if you've built a piece of content about dog health to promote you can search on Google for people sharing that kind of content or links pages about that kind of content and as you find them tag them on Buzzstream. Once you're done you can write your outreach letter and Buzzstream will automatically fill in certain fields (site name, the page you want the link on and so on) and allow you to customise each one before sending.

When the links come in it'll track and store them, allow you to produce reports etc.

Obviously there are dozens of other ways you can reach out to get links (Twitter etc is also supported by Buzzstream) but that's just one example above so you can see how useful the tool is.

11. anubhavsharma78

anubhavsharma78
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keep a detailed and complete report In form of excel Sheets. Keep monitoring progress create and inventory of links built in past 2 or 3 months. Keep checking for broken links and lost links. Better do it manually.

12. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well there are lots of tactics that we preferably adopt doing for all the link building approaches. But one of the best way of organizing those is google spreadsheets. In this way what happens is the whole team gets online an online access of what has been done and what way the process is proceeded. A well organized data of the whole process is being put across the team and the management.

13. Molen

Molen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is not a question of usability, but also a matter of habbit. I also used to use spreadsheets for list organization, so it is my favourite way

14. melisalissa05

melisalissa05
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll realy upon a database accessed and managed through a local website

15. shivshakti

shivshakti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

please suggest us, how to how back links with "your too many ways"?
    And if you know it, what problem is there to organize it? be more explanatory.

as the thread is open, we would like to get your ideas very soon. :dunno:

16. sonali22chauhan

sonali22chauhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Used to use excel when I bought loads. Now just have a note for each website in Evernote and list them. Make links individually only now so it is fairly easy to find things.

17. caohongquang

caohongquang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use excel, notepad ++. I plan to build links and other works in detail and most easily done. :)

18. JOSourcing

JOSourcing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why not use a 3rd party resource that organizes your link building for you? LinkMarket has served me very well in the past.

19. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I would not recommend any firm that provides link building services. I checked out LInkMarket's website, and found that you can purchase a service that offers 3000 link requests per month. Although it may not mean that all requests will be granted, 3000 per month is way to many for natural-looking link building. They also have a link exchange directory, and link exchanges are also not a recommended technique.

20. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At the end I'm trying the spreadsheet path. It was really time-taking to set up, but so far it's working.

I also found Linkrr.com as a way to open many links at the same time. It's pretty useful,. I hope it won't get discontinued.

If any moderator wants to consider the thread solved, feel free to close it. Thank you for the tips, all of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.