How do you get traffic to your forum/blog ?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by skyfire, Nov 6, 2009.

1. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have forum on programming and i want more visitors and members on it. What methods can you suggest to get more members and readers ? Also post your suggestion so that it fits with blog ans forum as well.

How to get active members for forum and readers for blog ? How to generate traffic for blog & forum ? Any tips, suggestions and techniques ?

2. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's nice. But if you've forum then how will you bring more members to forum ? (I can't offer contest cause of lack of cash so any other way?).

4. ekta74

ekta74
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not sure if it will be helpful enough to get you members on your programming forum but some easy and free methods to drive traffic to your website are:

1)One of the best method to get some free traffic to your site is through TRAFFIC EXCHANGE NETWORKS or TEXT AD EXCHANGES The best part about traffic exchanges is you will get some free traffic to your site which can only help.

2)Another free traffic method is using articles to drive it their. Writing articles and submitting to article directories will drive traffic to your site and it's a great free way that people are using more today than ever before.

3)Social networking is where you meet people like yourself and you can exchange ideas about growing your business. The best part about social networking is the relationships that are built through these organizations. These are great traffic builders for your business.

4)Using splash pages and a free gift to drive traffic to your sites. A splash page is a fancy designed or even a generic page that let's you give away a free gift in exchange for their email address and name.. Sure they may only sign up for the free gift, but you now have an email address to market to and their taken to your web site.

5)Blogs is probably the hottest thing right now in Internet marketing and it gives you a way to get tons of free traffic to your site in various ways.

6)Some free traffic methods that still work well, but have been overlooked are free classified ads. Free classified ads are still used on the Internet and contrary to popular belief they do work. People visit them and actually see what people have to offer. Classified ads don't pull like they once did, but don't kid yourself they are still a valuable resource. I've saved the last two as they are my favorite.

7) The last and in my opinion one of the best ways is to visit lots of forums. Forums let you create a signature file and most will let you post free ads to drive even more traffic to your web site. Each day new forums are put up and it doesn't look like that will stop anytime soon. Forums are one of the best free traffic methods that exist today.

• Like Like x 1
  5. madringo

madringo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I found by joining and posting on forums with similar interests you can build your user base substantially - just don't go spamming as you won't do yourself any favours. Become affiliates with similar forums, or go into partnership with a blogger.

6. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks ekta that was helpful information in case of blog and sites.

Now let's come to promotion of forums and getting more member for it part. How many of you have forums and how you managed to get more members to it ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. akashjshah

akashjshah
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm struggling with this too. I mostly use Twitter for now. Whenever I write a new article, I post a link on Twitter and get 100+ views for that article. Pretty effective...

Great information on this page by the way.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

skyfire, you might find the threads below helpful when it comes to promoting your forum;

Play detective to attract more forum members
    Tips for your forum
    Some advice on my new forum
    Starting a new Forum & It's revenue

Forum Promotion (link in my signature) is another excellent resource for helping to promote your forum, however I believe you're already a member?

You say that you don't have money to run a contest, but have you considered contests that you could run, that would not cost you any money? For example you could have a member of the week / month contest, that gives the winner a badge or title, without any prize money. Or you could offer advertising space on your forum as a prize.

Please post back with some of your thoughts and we will do our best to help you.

9. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Fergal,Thanks for the reply. I'll go through those links.

And yes i'm member at forum-promotion and i'll be getting some help from there for some of the boards on my forum. Also i tried to think about running badge or member of the week contest but as my forum in in programming & development niche it is hard to convince members about such contests. Paid contests are likely to attract them to it than such community based contest. Also i'm not running any point system because of same reason. I think programming/development niche has different way of attracting and keeping members, i don't know the knack of doing that. But i want to know what others think about getting visitors to such niche.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can do Link Exchange to related sites to your niche. Also try to include a Social Bookmarking tool on your forum or blog so that readers can easily submit our posts on these sites. You can get lots of visitors from these site.

GekiDan
    This message by GekiDan has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use these methods -

1. Register at blog communities like mybloglog - make friends, join groups and you can easily find new readers.

2. Social bookmark and ping every new post to your blog - Use sites like digg, stumbleupon, reditt, newsvine, minxx, propeller for bookmarks and pinggoat for pings.

3. Publicize by posting useful info in related forums and add blog url in your signature

4. Write articles and submit to Ezines with your blog url in signature

5. Direct people to your blog while visiting other blogs - leave a comment and ask blog owner/readers to visit your blog as well

6. Make hub pages, squidoo lens directing to your blog

7. Open an account on Twitter, follow people to have good followers and then start tweeting blog updates .

Try some or all of these ways and I can guarantee you will get great traffic.
    Jo

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Programmers are very keen on status and on being recognised for their talents and abilities. This is the main reason why many programmers contribute so much to open source projects. They do it for the status and recognition rather than any monetary reward. The inventors of some of the original technology that drives the Internet gave, the code and IP away for free, even though they were advised that they could make a lot of money from it. They wanted it to be open and available to everyone.

Perhaps you can find away to tap into that desire for status and recognition?

13. turbulence

turbulence
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Currently i am utilizing facebook, forums and social bookmarking sites but i am also considering press release sites and other promotional channels like article directories

14. OllieMcPhee

OllieMcPhee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content is King...

If you have your content in a structure thats easy to read and easy to refer, then if your content is good enough it will market itself.

If you want to grow, target your main audience and focus on getting a loyal hub of visitors... if you cant get any loyal visitors in your target audience then there isnt much point in trying to market to the whole web

15. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks simplyjo,olliemcphee for sharing.

@Fergal
    I have to agree with this. I'm programmer as well and i can understand the point but i think for development forum there should be offer more than reputation & badges. These are old concepts and i don't know what to pick for attracting members. Besides that i have to increase forum members as well.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree that reputation and banners will not be enough, hence I suggested that you might think about ways to recognise members on your forum. Maybe you could have a list of the five most helpful members on your forum home page, maybe you could install a thanks mod or simply run a member of the week / month contest. These are just ideas, you will need to think about it and come up with something that will motivate your members.

Two approaches I would take are as follows;

1. Look at what your competitors are doing and then figure out a way of doing it better. Also when you are on your competitor's sites look at suggestions being offered by their members.
    2. Ask your current members for their opinions and suggestions

Good luck with it, I hope it works out for you.

17. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok the main thing is that your forum should be having some quality programming and tech stuffs on your site to get recognition. Then Do some bookmarking and link exchange with other similar sites and blog.

Start discussion on other tech forums about your forum.

Make yourself some banner and spread it arround, use it in your sig and blogs.

This will help you get good traffic.

18. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks fergal,for these 2 tips. I'm going to try out the first method.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with that skyfire, please post back to let us know how it is working out for you or if you have any further questions.

20. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Talking about free traffic exchange network, I'll create one on my website soon. So don't hesitate to come back on my blog once it will be ready.