How do you figure out how much you need to start a business? (Retail question)

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by AverageJoe, Feb 20, 2010.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whether it be in person or online, how do you figure out how much you need to start a retail business? The problem is (A) wholesale prices are only available to people with a merchant license (or something along that line) and (B) I have no idea how much I'd have to buy in bulk. Truth is, all I'd need to know is how much they sell in bulk and I'd just use retail prices. Sure I'd most likely save up too much but at least I'd know I'd have enough.

2. chinaoilpainting

chinaoilpainting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you mean start a online business?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The best way to determine how much investment you need to set up any business, is to prepare a business plan for it. You might find the Business Plan Template links in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread helpful. You will also find links to helpful articles on how to prepare a cash flow forecast, in that thread.

Is that something you can ask the supplier? Every supplier will have different terms and the supplier in question should be prepared to tell you what their minimum order quantities are.

Good luck with it and please post back with your thoughts.

4. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At first, you need to collect resources what you're needing in hand. It's always better to ask the concern people directly about the prices you need in bulk and how much discount you're getting buying the bulk.

It's wise if you always make the list of prices that will cost you in your business. Buying in bulk is profitable, and you may need to ask with whole seller because we don't know that price about what you're buying.