How do you define Success?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, May 5, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You often hear people say that they want to be successful or speakers giving advice on how to be successful. But the question is, do you know the meaning of success? If you're still unclear of the definition of success when you embark on a business venture, then how would you know if you are successful or not?

Success is measured across several areas like business or career, health, love, or even spiritual but since this is the Business Advice Forum, we'll focus more on success in the business area. To others, their definition of a successful business might only be one that is making tons of money but to you it might be another thing altogether.

In Answers.com, success is defined as the achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted. So before embarking on a business venture, you must set your business objectives and desired goals first. Upon achieving these objectives and goals then you can proudly say that you are successful!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It is much easier to achieve success if you have a clear definition of what that success means to you. If you are striving for success in a sport it is good to have a clear goal to work towards, e.g. run the 2008 New York Marathon in less than 4hrs.

When you are working towards specific goals you need to be conscious of how these goals impact on other areas of your life. There's not much to be gained in running a marathon if you dedicate so much time and focus on it that you neglect your family or if you injure yourself and cause yourself long term health problems after the event.

For me, true success is being happy. This is difficult to measure but you generally know if you are happy or not. The trick is to have a clear understanding of what really makes you happy and then work towards that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal, you're 101% right on this one. Most people attribute success to money or wealth. Lately, I am also pressured into making appointments and closing insurance and investments. With the slowdown in Singapore's economy, it's getting harder and harder for me to get appointments and close cases. I also need to get my priorities straight and set my goals accordingly. Happiness is really a very good goal to aim for!

4. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For some people money is the happiness. They think that if you have alot of money, then you will happy and plus successful too. But that's not where the real success lies. You also have to care about your family. Some people don't give much time to their families because they are too focused on earning money and money. Money is not the only thing in life.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with you Footzilla, I've done some travelling in Asia and the happiest people I've ever met in my life were people with no money.

6. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I feel from my side, Sucess is defined from the people who learns to live with failure, trying every moment to get success and working hard. They never feel backward, are always motivated and always happy with whatever they want.

Success comes from a phase where "If you don't have any wants, and you're happy with whatever you've" is truly a Succes to Life. Simply, success is happiness and I agree with most of the people who spelled that. :) Many people have in mind Success is related to Business, but Business is your part of your life and you must know Life must be successfull, then business can be. Frustation and anger with failure in Business won't provide you success. When you're tired and sad about your failure, you don't have motivate to success and that ruins your life. Those are successful who never see back when they fail but are always happy with whatever they've or they're and always try to get forward no matter what get arise.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I couldn't agree with you more on this DEADMAN. Failure does breed success! Everyone is afraid of failure but did you know that without it, we wouldn't have any breakthroughs in science and technology today. The best and successful people and companies embrace their mistakes and learns from them.

There are two types of failures - a good failure and bad failure. A bad failure is one where they are plainly bad ideas, like smoking pot or drinking yourself to death. These are really terrible and just plain stupid failures. A good failure is one where you gain new insights through them. Usually, these good failures are the ones that will lead you to a solution, to success.

8. Alexis

Alexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Success means for me that you live the life you want, are happy about what you're doing and able to give something back to the community.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a nice thought Alexis - "give something back to the community". Normally when you ask someone what he/she wants, you'd normally hear.. "I want money", "I want a car", "I want a mansion", "I want this, I want that". Notice the "I" in all of this wishes. Giving something back to the community is a very noble cause. Wish all of us had a good heart as yours! I wish you success too :)

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There is a very important point and useful lesson in your quote. It reminds me of the Buddhist philosophy and their views regarding the dangers of attachment. It's OK to have things like money, it's OK to enjoy them but becoming attached to them and desiring them too much can lead to unhappiness.

11. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess this definition of success contradicts my earlier definition of success. Well anyway, I was the one who opened the topic "How do you define success?" in the first place so I shouldn't complain ;)

In layman's terms, I defined success as getting what you want but in DEADMAN's definition, success is where you don't have any wants and happy with whatever you've got. Call me ambitious, but I want a lot of things. I want love, I want happiness, I want wealth, I want security and protection... I can go on and on. But for Buddhists, if what they want is not to have any wants then you can call them successful in their religion if they no longer have any wants. But they had wanted not to have any wants after all which is contradictory again. I'm getting a headache here, so I'd better stop :confused: LOL

12. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, Yeah Successful doesn't mean you earn alot or you become rich. It means reaching your goal or getting a better result. Things what you think might not always happen, so you become satisfied at a point. If you are satisfied with yourself that you are successful for yourself. Success doesn't mean winning or being at first rank. It's something being better with the better ones.

13. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't understand this last sentence devilbatista. Did you mean being better than others? If this is what you mean, then I do agree to some degree. It is good to be better than others but you have to remember that there are still a lot of people out there who are better than us. After we have reached a certain level, we must still improve and compete with others at that level or someone better.

Let's take the sport of badminton as an example. When you're just starting to play the game, you learn by playing with others who are at the same level or at a higher level than you. After you've mastered some of the basics like smashing and footwork, you won't improve if you still play with beginners. I'm not saying that you avoid them altogether because you also were a beginner before. By playing with others at your level or someone who's better than you, you'll improve even more.

14. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe you're right and I don't either argue with this. But always remember, Every people have different wants and very true many. This is quite humanis, who doesn't like to get what they want. And getting them doesn't mean you're Successful. Life is a path of both success and failure. You've to consider both of them, neither being very happy with Success nor very sad with Failure. Be happy with your life, achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted is not only success, but compromising with the failure is too defined as Success.

#14 DEADMAN, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  15. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is not what I meant. I meant being better with better ones. Lets say for an example You are in a class and you are a student. You are among good students. You are not first boy but you are among the boys who are called good and better.

For me, Success is not comparison. Like comparing George Bush and Bill Gates. Who is more successful? It's not about who has got more money or power. It's what they have achieved and how much they are happy with it and themselves.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Success is a very personal concept. For one person success at badminton might be meeting up with some friends one night a week, enjoying the game and getting a little exercise into the bargain. For another success in badminton might be winning their national championship, with coming second being a failure.

17. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're exactly right. But Success truly goes to Happiness again. Either, you meet with some friends and enjoy with them at the Badminton game, that is providing you Happiness and that's your sucess And for some winning the game is success because it provides them happiness too. So, Winning is not everything, achieving happy moments of life is called Success.

So, in short Success is defined as Happiness. Success may have personal concept, but it relates to happiness.

#17 DEADMAN, May 18, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not all successful people are happy though. It's how you perceive success. You might see this guy in a limo and envy him for being very successful. But what you don't see is that he's not happy at all with his life. So it comes down again as to how you define success.

If you're definition of success is being better among the better ones and you've achieved that, then you should call yourself successful.

19. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, yes you're right to the answer. That was what I mean too. Actually it's all about neglecting the things that gets banish, loving them leads you to something madness. Even your body is banishment thing, not lasting forever so you should not be more caring to them.

Maybe you're right but doesn't that give you happiness through that success you mentioned. In short, it is the pleasure of happiness that is gained from Success.

#19 DEADMAN, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many people equate satisfaction with happiness but this is not always the case. You might be satisfied that you've achieved your short term goal, but are you happy about it? The answer is often a No. Happiness is a state of mind. You can also be happy even if you're a failure. Sometimes I envy the children and those people who are mentally challenged, they have a lot of things to be happy about.