How do you deal with rude customers?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jay, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Jay

Jay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The title says it all. When was the last time you had to deal with a rude customer both online or offline the internet? How did you deal with them?

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use the same method to deal with all the customer, always try my best to satisfy my customer requirement based on the promise.
    However, when meet a rude customer, you gotta find out what is the reason make the customer "rude", they not satisfy your service/goods? mis-communication? the customer attitude? or .......? After understanding the situation and rootcause, then only you are able to take the right action or correct method to deal with them

3. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Be very patient and say yes.. yes.. yes... yeeees... yes... they'll eventually calm down :)

4. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usually just wait for them to clam down as mentioned, but if they just keep fuming out of control which sometimes happens I will ask them to leave. But being patient and acting professional is the best thing you can do in front of your customers. But also keep in mind keeping your customers happy is very important. If they aren't happy with you they will go and tell their friends about their experience and it will just come back to bite you as the owner.

5. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a difference between an angry customer and a rude one. If you keep the tone polite, the angry customer would calm down eventually but if there is a customer who is rude. My answer is simple as "go find another one who can do your work. I refuse to work with you anymore."

I work with dignity and rudeness is something that I do not tolerate nor should anyone else. If someone tolerates his rudeness, the customer would never change his habit.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lwonnaco

lwonnaco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My last angry customer was verbally upset over the phone because I would not add phone number data into a set of direct marketing data that I was selling. I suspected that even if I did add in phone numbers the customer would still be angry because the price would jump 50% higher. Plus, it was not a telemarketing list to begin with so I could see another wrong phone number issue coming. I told him, "By listening to your comments, I can tell you right now my direct marketing list is not a good fit for your business. There are other excellent telemarketing lists out there. Please continue your search until you find what you are looking for. Good day."

• Like Like x 1
  7. rangrage

rangrage
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say this is the best reply. :thumbsup:

While most people believe the saying "The customer is always right", that is true and also not true. You see, while it is vital for every business to strive for customer satisfaction we should also keep in mind that we are entrepreneurs as well; and as a business owner you are King not the customer.

What often happens with rude customers is that we tend to try our best to satisfy them thinking it will make the relationship with them better, but their attitude never changes. The more we try to accommodate them the more rude and demanding they become. Very soon your business is then being dictated by these rude customers who are telling you what you need to provide in your business. Is that really how you want your business to be run?

Remember, you are the KING in your business, you can do much better without the wingers and moaners. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I kill them with my politeness :) I'm always calm and polite, never lose temper and - believe me - it can annoy people even more than simple rudeness.

9. mtwheeler03

mtwheeler03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

when i deal with rude customers or angry customers while working retail i normally just stay calm and give the customer what they want as quickly as possible.

the best thing to do is find a quick solution to the situation at hand.

10. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If the customer acts rude,first thing is tolerating that upto some limit and little bit of tolerance won't make you down.But if it goes on and on just forget then and kick them out.

11. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good question, Jay... sometimes, you have to be passive and let rude people burn themselves out. Ultimately, though, I don't think rude people respect weakness so you have to stand up for yourself. In these cases, I think it's critical to be assertive rather than confrontational.... M.

12. Ocean Archer

Ocean Archer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the customer is always right even when they're wrong.

talk as little as possible. let them talk and get it all out. do as much as you can to defer an impossible solution to a later time when the customer has had time to cool off.

a lot of times they're like toddlers. you have to manipulate them into thinking they've won or they're the ones in control even if they're not.

sometimes (not always) you just have to give them everything they want even if it means the solution will result in a net financial loss because an irate customer is likely to leave negative reviews for your company. Each negative review is likely to cause more long term financial loss than the small concession that you make to that customer.

13. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its easy to do it online though especially if you don't mind reviews from users however dealing rude customers face to face is something you gotta deal correctly, get busy providing what s/he needs if its possible. :D

14. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Friends,

I have some ideas about rude customers. Some people just aren't good at dealing with rudeness, they let it affect them personally. She has to realize not to take it to heart. People deal with rudeness in different ways, sometimes muttering to another employee about it helps them feel better, some people pride themselves on the ability to handle the situation with grace and on being the better person for not reacting. She just has to learn not to take it personally, the public can be very rude. And if she can't do that, she needs to be in a different kind of job.

Hope this will be useful?

Thanks a lot again.

15. Unlimit

Unlimit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its been difficult to handle the rude and short temper clients so its better to deal them calmly and avoid the situation which hyper them or raise their anger.

16. UTMediaGroup

UTMediaGroup
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was as polite to them as I could be. I tried to fix the problem and then told myself that you can not please everyone.

17. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just answer their question as clear as possible and it depends on them if they understood it or not. Answer based on how you understood their query and stay polite at all costs. Be patient enough. That is one big challenge as it defines how your service is flexible and accommodated to your every customer.

18. even

even
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let them rant, then explain your side. They are frustrated customers, so just let them rant.

19. Jay

Jay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are some good replies guys! It is good to let your customer explain their side of the story first, something has happened to them related to the company for why they are acting so rude. Instead of fueling the fire, it is better to let the client let it all out so you are able to come up with a reasonable way to make them happy, after all they are purchasing items/services from you. Who knows, if you make them happy it may open a door full of referrals from them in the future!

20. catherinejules

catherinejules
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dealt with them professionally for as long as they are not uttering obscene words. I diffused their anger, apologized and assured them that I can resolved their problem.