How do you avoid procrastination?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by ShawnLim, Feb 12, 2010.

1. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, I'm curious about this subject and would like to learn more about it.

Do you know how to avoid or overcome procrastination?

I know that writing down the goals, creating a to-do list and so on.
    The problem is, I still procrastinate even I do those... :rolleyes:

2. facerecpromo

facerecpromo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

:confused:
    Hi.. can u please elaborate the word "procrastination", so that we can think about it from our side. This is completely new word for me.please describe it...

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Shawn are there any specific areas of your work or tasks, where you are particularly prone to procrastination?

The way I deal with procrastination is that I write down a list every night, of the tasks that I will complete the following day. My most important task of the day, is always the first item on the list and I won't allow myself to do anything else until that task is complete.

Once I've completed the first task on the list, I commence working through the next items and exercise self discipline, to complete the tasks in order. It takes a big effort not to get distracted, by doing stuff that is not on the list. However, like most things in life, practice makes perfect and by exercising this discipline over time, I have learned to work much more effectively.

Another thing I do is to schedule a half hour towards the end of the day, for doing anything I want that is in some way related to work. When something comes to mind during the day and I'm tempted to stop what I'm doing and spend my time on this new thought, I simply write it down and then attend to it during this allocated half hour.

I understand from your post above that you have written down your goal. If your goal is something that motivates you, you are clear on the benefits that achieving it will bring to you and you firmly believe that you can achieve it, you will be more motivated to work through the items on your daily list. Especially if you have given careful consideration to your list to ensure that you only list tasks on it, that will bring you closer to your goal.

This approach has been working for me. Do you think it can work for you?

Good luck with everything and please keep us posted on your thoughts and progress.

4. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I'm referring to my internet related tasks.
    I do have a to-do list to follow through.
    The thing is, I did not follow through even I know what I should do.
    Sometimes I'll just... put things off.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What do you do instead?

Something else I've done in the past is ask myself what kind of person do I want to be and if how I am spending my time fits in with that? If it doesn't take some time to think about how you need to be spending your time, in order to be the person you want to be?

Does that help?

6. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you need some good motivations to achieve all of the to-do list. Give rewards to yourself.

7. Chinahailin

Chinahailin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Visualize the End from the Beginning.
    Create a vivid image of what it is like to have completed the project...the benefits you are reaping.
    When procrastination sets in, sometimes it is because we have bitten off more than we can chew. Before putting a task on your list, be realistic about the time, cost, interest and expertise that the task will require.

8. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot for this suggestion.
    What do I do instead? Well, reading, movies, or just idling...

Hmm, you've just mentioned a good way of directing our focus - by asking the
    right question in our mind. :D

This is a great tip, thanks a lot.

I do really need motivation I guess.
    Can you give some examples of what kind of rewards should I give myself? :cool:

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Different rewards motivate different people. I reward myself with some of the following; a bar of chocolate, a couple of drinks in the evening, a night out and even the odd weekend away as a larger reward.

10. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do I really need to think about what kind of rewards to give to myself?
    Do you think this punish and reward system really works?

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't like the idea of punishing yourself, life can be hard enough without introducing something negative into it. Maybe it works for some people, but it's not for me.

Rewards work for me and I believe for lots of other people as well. Think of something you really enjoy, e.g. a nice meal out or a new article of clothing, promise yourself that you will get it when, and only when, you achieve a certain target. Surely that would motivate you to achieve the target?

12. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know if you write down your values and then write down based on your activities what % you are moving toward and what percentage away it can be enlightening. For example if one of my values is financial freedom but I actually spend very little time each day on things that can make me money then my to % might be 5 -10 and my away %90 or so.

This can be an illuminating start!

From there look at what the limiting decisions and beliefs that block you may be. For example I did this and found to my surprise that I needed to have permission and people won't like me feelings blocking me. They go together to create a cycle.

Look at what you really want. If you want to make a lot of money - look at whether that is really your drive, or whether your drive is to not have to work for example. Then reframe the desire so it works for you.

Write your dreams and desires on a mirror you look into every day so you can ask yourself whether you're doing what you need to do to get there.

Also start asking yourself better questions. What do I need to reach that goal? Ask yourself, imagine you have a council of very successful mentors and ask them all, ask successful people you know what they would do if they wanted to achieve this by that date.

Remember "if it's meant to be it's up to me" and "the best way to deal with procrastination is simply to put it off"

On a practical note use gmail and set up email filters, turn off email altogether. Break you task into individual tasks and set yourself a timer to complete them.

Hope something in there helps!

13. charismaticV

charismaticV
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Procrastination is something which wastes the fuel of our life and time. If you want to live then don't procrastinate.

14. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you can't help it, do the "self treat theory." Where in you need to motivate yourself to do your daily task and after that give a little reward yourself, and self-indulge for the job well done. Motivation is the number one aspect to avoid procrastination.

15. hetal_387

hetal_387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi.. ShawnLim
    I have found a very good book with the excellent review on "Procrastination" on my favorite blog. It is the blog that I read everyday, and today I read a post on the same topic so I thought to share with you.

You can saw this book and review here:
    http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2010/05/23/review-procrastination/

Hope this may help you.
    :)

16. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a T-shirt that says

True story. At least I can admit I have a problem! :D Seriously, I'm not as bad as I used to be. I find the busier I am, the less likely I'll do it. It's when I have time to play with I tend to get sidetracked.

I have just bought myself a whiteboard in the last week and have listed on it everything I need to get through that day, with the most important at the top. Having that visual reminder right in front of me is an immense help, even more so than the online ones I like. I tick them off as I go along so I can see the progress.

At the day's end, I transfer what's not been done to the next day's columns. My columns are all work related, and I keep a small corner of the whiteboard for household stuff I need to remember like mailing a letter.

And try e.ggtimer.com . Set it for an hour. When you see how much that time whizzes by and realize you've been procrastinating the whole time, you'll soon get yourself in gear! It's also great for timing how long jobs really take. Sometimes what we think is way off.

#16 Kay, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  17. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think one can not deal with procrastination with out applying some internal discipline. you can use various motivation techniques to make the task easier but ultimately its inner discipline which is the most important in dealing with this multi header monster.

18. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Generally, the first thing to do after you've realized the amount of time wasted is to see why. If its because of the Internet, block those certain websites (eg. Facebook, Twitter) and so it won't be that much of a temptation as you cannot access them. If its due to distractions such as your TV or console, then go to a library or outside to get some work done.

19. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

completely agree with you,social networking websites end up eating a lot from our productive timings. I think we should guard our productive hours from these distractions as much as possible.i think if we do that all our procrastination related woes will end.but again to accomplish you have to discipline yourself.

20. mdmd

mdmd
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Of seriousness in dealing and openness in the easiest ways