How do people find their niches in business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JBMedia, Jun 25, 2011.

1. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a problem that most entrepreneurs have. They want to start a business, know they can succeed at it, yet can't find a niche to pursue. Does anyone here want to share how they came across what their niche was for their online endeavors?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One word: interest. You can't pursue a certain without having any interest on it. Engaging in a niche without your interest, you will most likely fail and become bored in the long run.

Take for instance my niche: Japanese Entertainment. I know most of the guys here have little to no interest to that niche. But you see, will all the work I'm doing until now, I can say that it's pretty much successful in the field. I have been hearing that there are some guys who treat my site as their own source of information, although most of the time, my blog is already getting the third had of the news (first hand is the original site in Japanese, then second is the translator who posted it on another forum).

3. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's awesome Dan! I guess I have to find something I'm truly passionate about. I feel like I lost most of my old passions through my hippy stage of life, so it might take me some time to find something again unfortunately.

4. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Start with your passions. T Harv Eker mentioned that if you pursue something that you are not crazy about, you will have to live and breathe it for at least the next five years of promotion until you can get somebody else to do it or sell the business. So like the other post mentioned, start with interests then see if there is market demand.

5. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try to focus on which interests you most that's how you will not lose interest in it and will get creative ideas by your own to improve and make it better.

6. NikiRebin

NikiRebin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have a broad area of interest, start brainstorming all the little subdivisions of that larger category. It's best to do this with a small group of people, preferably all of whom think a bit differently. Take the ones that sound the most interesting to you, and do some keyword research to see where the money is. That way you can balance out what you're passionate about with what will make you money. It can also be a good reality check!

Niki

• Like Like x 1
  7. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Finding the right niche is the most difficult. I guess in order to choose the right niche one has to be a real professional and should analyse the market and market tendencies.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Real professional? How can you consider one as "real professional"?
    I'm not a professional, yet, I find the best niche based on what I knew most.

Having that said, anyone, professional or not, can find their niches as long as they take time to think on what topic they have a greater interest in. A topic they won't get bored and a topic they knew have a wide range of audience.

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont really call them as "professional" but at least we know all the basic on the niche. For example, if you run a blog/website in manufacturing niche, you shall at least know how manufacturing run the process, what is the basic/commend use strategy and some ISO standard.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are right there. Basically I'm just answering his/her post regarding "real professionals".

11. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you can train yourself to know a subject inside out but I think it helps to have natural instinct in a subject to find your niche.

12. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well if you want to make money online, a good idea is to find a niche that's in high demand so that you know there is cash flow going on in there. If you choose a niche that is based off your passion, you may end up having fun doing it but you may not make money in the long run because the market will not be as interested in your passion as you are.

#12 Hulbert Lee, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you sure on that? I mean if you choose a niche that's high demand, and you don't have any passion or interest in it, you'll definitely end up getting bored in the long run and won't make any continuous income.

14. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can you find niches in high demand? Do so just by research? Do you have any suggestions?

And I agree with you as well Dan, but what if you find out something that's high in demand is something you might be interested in learning about as well?

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This will definitely be good.

16. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't actually agree with that unless you are good in that niche. Many people are trying to get rich on starting a blog in high demand or high pay niche and mist of them fail to earn money. The main readon is they don't really good on that niche, they forget that high demand or high pay niche normally is in high competitive. You need to be good if you are in high competitive niche or you can't make money from them

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True there. I even tried to do some before but I easily lost my interest over it after day 1.

18. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I do not think so that it is so much difficult to define your niches. You have to focus on your product that you are selling or advertising. Your product own describes that for which category you are going to be niche. For example, for BMW car you can not go for a lower class or middle class market and you can easily target your niche that is upper class. Same as for every product and according to its category you can go for defining your niches.

19. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have once bought a forex domain so i did create a site with it.
    then i started learning the market and now i am currently into Forex and still writing entries on that niche.
    I sometimes lose money though and sometimes win.:D

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Isn't forex a bit risky?