How do I select the best google keywords?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by apexis, Jun 27, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How do I select the best google keywords?
    There are many possible long tail keyword combinations. In certain cases competition for a keyword is low but CPC is high and volumes are also high. Using google keyword tool, how can I choose the best keywords for webpage optimization? Thanks!

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a great news if you're into a low competitive market but with a huge revenue possibility. Weighing the competition, the demand, the possible earnings in terms of CPC and click-through-rates are among the factors needed to weigh and choose your keywords efficiently.

3. Frugality

Frugality
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When most people start researching keywords, they focus on high search volume keywords, but don't really look at the level of competition associated with each word. Evaluating the competition of the target keywords is vital as it will play a role in your success with organic ranking. The strength of the competition of the keyword usually dictates the amount of time and effort that will be required to ranked in the top 5 organically.

Keyword research and competition analysis can be done manually or with the help of some paid tools. For the sake of this conversation, I'll stick with a manual approach. Keep in mind, this is my way and may not work for everyone as there's some work involved. Here's how I go about choosing keywords to go after:

#1 - Use the GKT (Google Keyword Tool) to start building a list of potential keywords. I do them in blocks of 100 at a time (the max), export them along with the local search volume. I keep them in an Excel spreadsheet.

#2 - Sort by the highest number of searches per month as they are related to your specific site or niche.

#3 - Start evaluating the relevant keywords by the level of competition. When looking at the competition, I look at the following factors of the specific pages that are ranking in the top 5 organic results in Google:

Pagerank (not all that important but I do check it)
    What I look for in pagerank - The higher the Pr the page has, potentially the more diffuclt it will be to outrank it. If I can find a top 5 listing with a PR of 3 or less, it's a possibility. Keep in mind, you may find high PR pages with poor optimization so they are always a target as well.

Number of inbound links showing in Google (take the page and google it using link:URL to get an idea of what links Google shows for the page)
    What I look for: The lower the number of inbound links shown by Google, the better.

Keyword in page title - Y/N
    What I look for: I'm looking for pages in the top 5 that do NOT have the specific keyword in the page title.

Keyword in the meta-description - Y/N
    What I look for: Same as page titles, I'm looking for a top 5 listing that does NOT have the specific keyword in the meta-description.

Number of inbound links from Open Site Explorer (Google Open site explorer) and use the free version
    What I look for - The lower the number of inbound links, the better. Or if the site has lower quality links (forum profiles, blog spam comments, etc.) those are a potential target as well.

References to the URL in Facebook and Twitter (search the URL on both)
    What I look for: I'm looking for instances where the URL that the keyword ranks for is NOT referenced anywhere within FB or Twitter. Why? Because social links are becoming more and more important and I can possible outrank a site without any.

I know that's a mouthful for my first few posts, but keyword research is really important if you really want to drive some organic traffic.

• Like Like x 2
    #3 Frugality, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. kelvinbrick

kelvinbrick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

apexis,

Frugality makes some very good points.

When selecting your first google keywords it is a good idea choose long tailed keywords that are specific and directed towards your business.
    In this way you will be able to reduce your costs (some keywords are more expensive then others)

Good luck,

Kelvin

5. newbrightcrystal

newbrightcrystal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i agree with you very much !dear mark T. but i don't know how to find the keyword ? i think crystal gift , crystal perfume ,crystal keychain , 3d laser engrraved crystal gift all those are my keyword , am i right ? hehe . hope you could help me to solve this problem . :)

6. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

newbrightcrystal,

Are there any specific brand products of "crystal perfume" for example, that you also sell? Those keywords are somewhat broad so I am sure you can find a more specific keyword for your product.

Here's other keywords that can be related to your "crystal perfume" keyword" that I took from google related searches and from what your competitors are targeting (based on their meta keyword, it's where i took it)

versace crystal perfume, bright crystal perfume,pink crystal perfume bottle,Crystal Perfume Bottles, 3D Laser Crystal, Crystal Trophy, Crystal Award, 3D Laser Machine, Crystal Candle Holder, Photo Crystal, Crystal Figurine, Crystal Sphere, Crystal Diamond, Swarovaki Crystal Beads, Crystal Led Bases, Crystal Keychain, Crystal Ashtray, Crystal Fragrance Bottles, Crystal Clock, Crystal Photo Frame, Crystal Vase

The next thing you need to do is to sort which keywords would greatly help you gain traffic aside from the top keywords you gave is to run it through the google keyword suggestion tool.

I will run for example the keyword "crystal perfume bottle" and here are the results I found:

The keyword has a high competition with a 2,400 global monthly searches and 1,00 local monthly searches according to the Google data. This is one of the easiest way to run a keyword research. From there on your own analyzation of the keywords to target will be next.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always choose one high competitive keyword with excellent traffic. One with medium competitive keyword and one low competitive keyword. If you need only 2 keywords then choose high and low competitive keywords. If you have more keywords to target then creates more web pages on your websites to target multiple keywords strongly.

8. maomao

maomao
    uix_expand uix_collapse

every one want to know i think

9. RevaxMedia

RevaxMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are loads however if you know your industry well you can determine them beforehand and backup using tools such as Insight and Adwords keyword tool. Other indicators can be used for market saturation to determine short and long term strategies

10. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always use related keyword of your business, check the competitors keywords first then analysis the keywords use those which have high traffic and low competition because getting rank on them is very easy but very difficult on those which have high competition.