How do I right my partners unethical behavior?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Clare, Apr 7, 2012.

?

Are my partners actions ethical?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Clare

Clare
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am partners with my brother in a business that employs 23 people. My brother recently created a new 2 day work schedule for his son-in-law so that he could take son-in-law on vacation without his losing holiday pay. Our policy is that an employee must work (or have vacation scheduled) the day before and after a holiday in order to be paid. My brother/partner insists there is nothing wrong with doing this and that the son-in-law should be paid for the holiday because he will be working his schedule and will not be absent from work. He has manipulated our system in favor of his son-in-law. We have never and would never do this for another employee, in fact many have lost holiday pay because of absences.

I see this as a much bigger problem then just holiday pay. I think he crossed a line and created what will be a systemic problem for us. I forsee our employees losing a lot of respect for the company and rethinking their commitment to us. I also don't see how I can ever enforce our Holiday Policy (or other policies) in the future.

Any suggestions about how I make this right with my employees?

2. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Rules are rules, these are same for everyone, either he is the owner of a firm or an employee. You should talk to your brother; inform him about your and other employee’s thinking. Make him realize that he is spoiling the environment of company by doing this, if today he is doing this; next day, other person will do and then you don’t have any point to stop him by doing this.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will say you shall actually talk to your partner/brother. Tell him the disadvantage if not follow the rules. The employee will feel that the rules is no more important, they can actually argue in future, this will directly affect the performance, working environment, and the company culture.

4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I think your brother's decision is wrong from a business standpoint but I think since he is the co-owner of the business and it wasn't apparently hidden from you, it is a little bit of a stretch to call it unethical. I'd just label it bad business judgment.

Making exceptions to rules is generally bad, but sometimes it is justified. Where you are making an exception based on nepotism, that is even worse. As you noted, it sends a bad message to all your other hardworking employees.

5. kailamilos

kailamilos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all, congratulate yourself for being strong enough not to let your partner's actions just slide beneath the rug. For most people, they think that dealing with these kinds of actions are just too much of a hassle so they just shrug their shoulders and turn away. So I think it is good that you are concerned and that you're actually trying to do something about it.

Now, I am in no place to judge your partner but I do think that what he did is unethical. It is an abuse of his power as the business owner -- in a small scale, yes, but still abuse -- and it will indeed result to your employees distrusting you. In that case, you should go and confront your brother about his actions and warn him of its repercussions. Also, ask him to not just correct his actions and if possible, issue an apology somewhere.