How do I know i am using the right number of keywords on a page?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Sindha, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindha

Sindha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i cannot give the exact number that is right. We only use the keyword when we needed.we will find enough natural opportunities to include keywords that we won't even have to worry about reaching an arbitrary number.

2. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not sure if there is any right number of keywords per page. However, I use 4-5 core keywords per page. The main thing is to take few core/primary or most important keywords that best describe your page and tailor your content around those keywords. Use different variations of those keywords, use them in different phrases, use synonyms and plurals. This way you will be optimizing your page for those few core keywords, while also optimizing for other variations of those keywords.

This article might help:
    http://www.seomoz.org/blog/tactical-seo-how-many-termsphrases-should-i-target-on-a-single-page
    http://moz.com/blog/7-advanced-seo-concepts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The reason why you can't give an exact number, and why prestonp is not sure of the exact number, is because there is none. Even 4-5 core keywords may be too much, or too little. Using different variations and synonyms is a good idea, and making sure they sound natural is good as well. The important thing to remember is to write for the reader, not for the search engines. Another thing mentioned in one of the articles prestonp mentioned is not to repeat the same words in multiple keywords in your Title Tag and Description. For example, if your site sells athletic shoes, you don't want to have "Women's athletic shoes", "Men's athletic shoes", and "Children's athletic shoes" as separate keywords on the same page.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CoolHandCol

CoolHandCol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's very difficult not to write for the search engines isn't it? It's them that decide where our site appears - if it appears at all. So it's only natural to write content with them in mind and make sure it's clear what you're writing about. If a customer can work it out, I'm pretty sure the search engines can - they're more sophisticated than some humans!

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If it helps, keep in mind the reason why you want to rank in the first place. You are trying to attract humans who will buy your product or service, or become a regular visitor to your blog. In order to get them to buy, you want the website content to appeal to them, and to give them the information they need to decide to buy your product or service. In order to get them to become regular readers, you need to write articles they would find informative, or useful, or entertaining, depending on the purpose of the blog. In either case, if you repeat the same words over and over, or if the content sounds like gibberish and doesn't make sense, the visitor will most likely not become a buyer or regular reader. And, the website would not be the best source for the product, service, or information the visitor is looking for, so would not deserve to be highly ranked.The search engines will "work out" that you are trying to game the system - and will put your website where it deserves to be.

6. Melissa Feeney

Melissa Feeney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I completely agree with you, what matters most is to write content for users and not for bots. And repeating the same keyword again and again in the title or description should be avoided. It is a Black Hat technique known as Meta Keyword Stuffing. You can target two three keyword for the single page.

7. Patson

Patson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah you are right that content is should be for the users not for the google bots and your keywords should tell everything about the content as well as about the site. I think we need to keep ourselves in the users place and what type of the keywords he is looking for. Keywords should not promotion type of keywords for instance like cheap, best quality, which sound spammy

8. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm skeptical about the "Meta keywords" issue. A client I have worked with has a website without this tag, but all of its competitors - who appear at the top of Google results - have the meta keywords tag with keywords. Perhaps this is a coincidence, or Google isn't telling us something?

9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

According to what Google is telling us, they no longer use the meta tags as one of the ranking factors. However. others do. So if you want to check, use the meta tags and the Title tag and see what happens. Google can also use the relevant portion of the Title tag and Description meta tag in the actual listing if they wish, so including them cannot hurt if they are formatted properly. Of course, the meta tags and Title tag by themselves will not make a bit of difference if other techniques are not used properly, so you should check those as well, to make sure it is not something else that is keeping your client from getting ranked.

10. andieshire

andieshire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can use many as long as it’s applicable to your website. Just avoid keyword stuffing and do SEO in the right way. Hope it helps.

11. sonakshi

sonakshi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You Just check the number of keywords per 100 words. It should be about 5 to 6 keywords per 100 words.

12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As I mentioned earlier, a specific number of keywords may not apply in every situation, although 5 to 6 would be a pretty good average. If you have less than the 5 keywords that sonakshi recommends, or more than 6, don't add or subtract them because you want to reach some "magic" number. Andieshire has a point. As long as you avoid keyword stuffing, you can use as many as you want. Just make sure that it sounds natural when you read it. Google will tell you if it's too many, and give you the opportunity to fix it. If it ain't broke....

13. GoldFather

GoldFather
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The Google Ranking Algorithm has discounted the need for keywords to be found within every single square inch of your blog or website. Make sure your keywords are found in you h1 tags, and intro paragraphs. Additionally, place your keywords in your url. That will also help a great deal.

14. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keep your key words simple. If you need a Plumber, you will type Plumber City or City Plumber. I am sure their are other key words. I basically only use other key words so that I have a variety. You need a variety of back links to include tabs off the main website address too

15. john14

john14
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is all about Landing pages better to keep the number of keywords minimum in a page you want to optimize and if you create one landing page for one keyword then you can add synonyms of the keywords as well. The page will be well optimized for that keyword

16. Maryjohnson1555

Maryjohnson1555
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think searching relevant keywords search in Google adword tool is the best way select the maximum keywords which have high searches

17. sandyrock654

sandyrock654
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nearly use 3 to 4 targeted words for 300 words that would be perfect.

18. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As you can see, there is a wide variety of answers to this question, any one of which can be the right answer for their situation, but may or may not work for someone else. I have already addressed this in a previous post, so I will not do it again. I do, however, have a bit of advice for sandyrock654 - read the thread before responding, it will cut down on redundant posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.